Sep 11, 2013, 5:28 PM EST
Phoenix general manager Don Maloney is off to an annoyed start at Coyotes training camp.
The object of Maloney’s ire? Young Swedish defenseman Oliver Ekman-Larsson, who was notably absent today.
Ekman-Larsson apparently forgot to get his immigration papers in order in time for training camp. He is working on his visa, but will miss at least a few days and Maloney indicated there would be some action, possibly a fine assessed for the oversight.
“I’m not happy about it,” Maloney said. “It’s something that players are required to take care of and (his actions) shows a lack of getting after it. He’s always in great shape and he’s an important guy. But we have 57 players here and we’re supposed to have 58 and there’s no excuse for it.”
Ekman-Larsson, 22, is entering the first season of a six-year, $33 million deal with the Coyotes. So at the very least, he’s got the money to pay any team fine.
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 17
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 11
- The Atlantic Division race is going to be fascinating 18
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 22
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 11
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 6
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 39
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8