Sep 11, 2013, 5:28 PM EDT
Phoenix general manager Don Maloney is off to an annoyed start at Coyotes training camp.
The object of Maloney’s ire? Young Swedish defenseman Oliver Ekman-Larsson, who was notably absent today.
Ekman-Larsson apparently forgot to get his immigration papers in order in time for training camp. He is working on his visa, but will miss at least a few days and Maloney indicated there would be some action, possibly a fine assessed for the oversight.
“I’m not happy about it,” Maloney said. “It’s something that players are required to take care of and (his actions) shows a lack of getting after it. He’s always in great shape and he’s an important guy. But we have 57 players here and we’re supposed to have 58 and there’s no excuse for it.”
Ekman-Larsson, 22, is entering the first season of a six-year, $33 million deal with the Coyotes. So at the very least, he’s got the money to pay any team fine.
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 23
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 9
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 18
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)