Sep 11, 2013, 5:28 PM EDT
Phoenix general manager Don Maloney is off to an annoyed start at Coyotes training camp.
The object of Maloney’s ire? Young Swedish defenseman Oliver Ekman-Larsson, who was notably absent today.
Ekman-Larsson apparently forgot to get his immigration papers in order in time for training camp. He is working on his visa, but will miss at least a few days and Maloney indicated there would be some action, possibly a fine assessed for the oversight.
“I’m not happy about it,” Maloney said. “It’s something that players are required to take care of and (his actions) shows a lack of getting after it. He’s always in great shape and he’s an important guy. But we have 57 players here and we’re supposed to have 58 and there’s no excuse for it.”
Ekman-Larsson, 22, is entering the first season of a six-year, $33 million deal with the Coyotes. So at the very least, he’s got the money to pay any team fine.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 4
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 19
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 9
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 33
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)