Sep 11, 2013, 1:36 PM EDT
That’s what the two 41-year-olds said during the opening day of New Jersey Devils training camp on Tuesday, each claiming they’re open to returning for the 2014-15 season.
“I’m not going to comment on, ‘Yes, I will,’ or ‘Yes, I won’t [retire]’. So, you can tell [media] around the League they don’t have to ask that question,” Brodeur said, as per NHL.com. “I’m not going to tell anybody if I’m going to retire or not until I make a decision of coming back or not.”
Brodeur made it clear this year wouldn’t be a farewell tour across the league.
Jagr said much of the same, saying his playing days won’t be ending anytime soon. He even took things a step further by committing to re-joining the Czech Extraliga when his time in the NHL is complete.
“I said it might be my last year. It depends on how I play,” he told the New Jersey Star-Ledger. “I don’t want to be somewhere where I’m not going to be good or help. Of course, I’m going to go back and play in the Czech League. I have to do it.
“I love [the Czech Republic]. I love the Czech League.”
Jagr also stated he wants to be on the Czech Olympic team for the 2014 Sochi games and wants to play for the Czechs at the 2015 World Hockey Championships, to be held in Prague and Ostrava.
He’d be 43 at the time.
“I’m excited. I love the game,” Jagr said on Tuesday. “I want to keep playing,”
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 17
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 24
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 58
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (58)