Sep 11, 2013, 9:01 AM EDT
After winning his second Stanley Cup with Chicago in just four seasons, the Blackhawks don’t want to see GM Stan Bowman leave any time soon. With that in mind, the team has inked Bowman to a two-year extension, keeping him with them through the 2017-18 campaign.
“Stan has been an integral part of our organizational success and we are proud to reward him with a well-deserved extension,” said Blackhawks President and CEO John McDonough, according to the team’s website. “From the amateur levels to our team in Chicago, Stan has a great system in place as we all strive for consistent excellence throughout the organization.”
Although Bowman inherited an amazing team when he replaced Dale Tallon in July 2009, the Blackhawks were also facing considerable cap problems. After they won the Stanley Cup in 2009-10, Bowman was forced to make tough decisions in order to keep the team under the cap and he ended up stripping away most of their depth in order to keep their core intact.
That led to a couple lean seasons, but Bowman was able to build around his star players and reclaim the Cup. This time around, the cap hasn’t been nearly as big of an issue and consequently Chicago will go into 2013-14 with a team very similar to the squad that just won it all.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 10
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 8
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 33
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)