Sep 11, 2013, 9:01 AM EDT
After winning his second Stanley Cup with Chicago in just four seasons, the Blackhawks don’t want to see GM Stan Bowman leave any time soon. With that in mind, the team has inked Bowman to a two-year extension, keeping him with them through the 2017-18 campaign.
“Stan has been an integral part of our organizational success and we are proud to reward him with a well-deserved extension,” said Blackhawks President and CEO John McDonough, according to the team’s website. “From the amateur levels to our team in Chicago, Stan has a great system in place as we all strive for consistent excellence throughout the organization.”
Although Bowman inherited an amazing team when he replaced Dale Tallon in July 2009, the Blackhawks were also facing considerable cap problems. After they won the Stanley Cup in 2009-10, Bowman was forced to make tough decisions in order to keep the team under the cap and he ended up stripping away most of their depth in order to keep their core intact.
That led to a couple lean seasons, but Bowman was able to build around his star players and reclaim the Cup. This time around, the cap hasn’t been nearly as big of an issue and consequently Chicago will go into 2013-14 with a team very similar to the squad that just won it all.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)