Sep 11, 2013, 9:01 AM EDT
After winning his second Stanley Cup with Chicago in just four seasons, the Blackhawks don’t want to see GM Stan Bowman leave any time soon. With that in mind, the team has inked Bowman to a two-year extension, keeping him with them through the 2017-18 campaign.
“Stan has been an integral part of our organizational success and we are proud to reward him with a well-deserved extension,” said Blackhawks President and CEO John McDonough, according to the team’s website. “From the amateur levels to our team in Chicago, Stan has a great system in place as we all strive for consistent excellence throughout the organization.”
Although Bowman inherited an amazing team when he replaced Dale Tallon in July 2009, the Blackhawks were also facing considerable cap problems. After they won the Stanley Cup in 2009-10, Bowman was forced to make tough decisions in order to keep the team under the cap and he ended up stripping away most of their depth in order to keep their core intact.
That led to a couple lean seasons, but Bowman was able to build around his star players and reclaim the Cup. This time around, the cap hasn’t been nearly as big of an issue and consequently Chicago will go into 2013-14 with a team very similar to the squad that just won it all.
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 3
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 5
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 59
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 58
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)