Sep 11, 2013, 9:01 AM EDT
After winning his second Stanley Cup with Chicago in just four seasons, the Blackhawks don’t want to see GM Stan Bowman leave any time soon. With that in mind, the team has inked Bowman to a two-year extension, keeping him with them through the 2017-18 campaign.
“Stan has been an integral part of our organizational success and we are proud to reward him with a well-deserved extension,” said Blackhawks President and CEO John McDonough, according to the team’s website. “From the amateur levels to our team in Chicago, Stan has a great system in place as we all strive for consistent excellence throughout the organization.”
Although Bowman inherited an amazing team when he replaced Dale Tallon in July 2009, the Blackhawks were also facing considerable cap problems. After they won the Stanley Cup in 2009-10, Bowman was forced to make tough decisions in order to keep the team under the cap and he ended up stripping away most of their depth in order to keep their core intact.
That led to a couple lean seasons, but Bowman was able to build around his star players and reclaim the Cup. This time around, the cap hasn’t been nearly as big of an issue and consequently Chicago will go into 2013-14 with a team very similar to the squad that just won it all.
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 31
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)