Sep 11, 2013, 10:23 PM EDT
Chicago Blackhawks GM Stan Bowman confirmed to the Chicago Tribune’s Mark Lazerus on Wednesday that both Bryan Bickell and Michal Handzus have been cleared to participate in training camp.
Bickell, 27, is recovering from a fairly gruesome thumb injury while Handzus, 36, underwent surgeries on a torn ACL and broken wrist this summer.
Both forwards were integral parts of Chicago’s impressive run to a second recent championship.
Bickell showed the grit and scoring touch that prompted Blackhawks management to hand him a four-year, $16 million contract this offseason.
Meanwhile, Handzus’s $1 million salary cap hit expires after 2013-14, so he has much to gain if he can prove that his surprisingly effective work as a second/third-line center wasn’t a fluke.
Overall, this continues an almost uniform stream of good news for Chicago as of late.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 20
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 10
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 34
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)