Sep 11, 2013, 10:23 PM EDT
Chicago Blackhawks GM Stan Bowman confirmed to the Chicago Tribune’s Mark Lazerus on Wednesday that both Bryan Bickell and Michal Handzus have been cleared to participate in training camp.
Bickell, 27, is recovering from a fairly gruesome thumb injury while Handzus, 36, underwent surgeries on a torn ACL and broken wrist this summer.
Both forwards were integral parts of Chicago’s impressive run to a second recent championship.
Bickell showed the grit and scoring touch that prompted Blackhawks management to hand him a four-year, $16 million contract this offseason.
Meanwhile, Handzus’s $1 million salary cap hit expires after 2013-14, so he has much to gain if he can prove that his surprisingly effective work as a second/third-line center wasn’t a fluke.
Overall, this continues an almost uniform stream of good news for Chicago as of late.
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 23
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 1
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 77
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 4
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 19
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (171)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (94)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (77)