Sep 11, 2013, 10:23 PM EST
Chicago Blackhawks GM Stan Bowman confirmed to the Chicago Tribune’s Mark Lazerus on Wednesday that both Bryan Bickell and Michal Handzus have been cleared to participate in training camp.
Bickell, 27, is recovering from a fairly gruesome thumb injury while Handzus, 36, underwent surgeries on a torn ACL and broken wrist this summer.
Both forwards were integral parts of Chicago’s impressive run to a second recent championship.
Bickell showed the grit and scoring touch that prompted Blackhawks management to hand him a four-year, $16 million contract this offseason.
Meanwhile, Handzus’s $1 million salary cap hit expires after 2013-14, so he has much to gain if he can prove that his surprisingly effective work as a second/third-line center wasn’t a fluke.
Overall, this continues an almost uniform stream of good news for Chicago as of late.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 45
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 122
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)