Sep 11, 2013, 2:17 PM EST
Tuesday was a good news, bad news sort of day for Patrice Bergeron.
The good news is that, according to Bergeron, the punctured lung he suffered during the Stanley Cup Final is ”perfectly healed” and allowed him to participate in physical testing on Day 1 of Bruins training camp.
The bad news, though, is that he’s still not medically cleared to play games.
“[Bergeron and Gregory Campbell, recovering from a broken leg] are going to practice with us,” B’s head coach Claude Julien said, as per CSNNE.com. “They’ll be on the ice. I think when it comes time to play those exhibition games it will be a conversation with our trainers making sure there isn’t a risk factor if they play.
“They wouldn’t be cleared today if we were playing a game.”
This isn’t a necessarily problem, since the Bruins’ exhibition schedule doesn’t begin until next Monday (Set. 16, vs. Montreal). That gives Bergeron nearly a full week to receive medical clearance and get back into full action.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)