Sep 11, 2013, 2:17 PM EST
Tuesday was a good news, bad news sort of day for Patrice Bergeron.
The good news is that, according to Bergeron, the punctured lung he suffered during the Stanley Cup Final is “perfectly healed” and allowed him to participate in physical testing on Day 1 of Bruins training camp.
The bad news, though, is that he’s still not medically cleared to play games.
“[Bergeron and Gregory Campbell, recovering from a broken leg] are going to practice with us,” B’s head coach Claude Julien said, as per CSNNE.com. “They’ll be on the ice. I think when it comes time to play those exhibition games it will be a conversation with our trainers making sure there isn’t a risk factor if they play.
“They wouldn’t be cleared today if we were playing a game.”
This isn’t a necessarily problem, since the Bruins’ exhibition schedule doesn’t begin until next Monday (Set. 16, vs. Montreal). That gives Bergeron nearly a full week to receive medical clearance and get back into full action.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 10
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 5
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 39
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)