Sep 11, 2013, 8:48 PM EST
“The way I look at it this camp is, I haven’t played a game in two years,” Downie said. “I just have to get the legs going. I’m going to take it relatively slow, because I still have almost a month to get ready. I’ll be ready for opening night. No question about opening night.”
The 26-year-old forward has only played in 22 games since being traded to the Avs during the 2011-12 season, including just two contests in 2013.
Downie brings the kind of snarl of a player who has some questionable hits in his past, but can also bring some offensive punch; that combination was most potent with the Tampa Bay Lightning in 2009-10, as he scored 22 goals and 46 points while collecting 208 penalty minutes in 79 games.
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 44
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 7
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 35
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11