Sep 11, 2013, 8:48 PM EDT
“The way I look at it this camp is, I haven’t played a game in two years,” Downie said. “I just have to get the legs going. I’m going to take it relatively slow, because I still have almost a month to get ready. I’ll be ready for opening night. No question about opening night.”
The 26-year-old forward has only played in 22 games since being traded to the Avs during the 2011-12 season, including just two contests in 2013.
Downie brings the kind of snarl of a player who has some questionable hits in his past, but can also bring some offensive punch; that combination was most potent with the Tampa Bay Lightning in 2009-10, as he scored 22 goals and 46 points while collecting 208 penalty minutes in 79 games.
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 1
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 0
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 13
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 33
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 19
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 58
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 26