Sep 10, 2013, 12:04 PM EST
Quick update on Derek Stepan‘s contract negotiations with the New York Rangers:
“A deal is not imminent and obviously Derek will not report (to camp) without a contract,” Stepan’s agent, Matt Oates, told The New York Post.
From Post reporter Larry Brooks:
Stepan is believed seeking a five- or six-year deal in the neighborhood of $5 million per while the Rangers are believed offering a two-year contract worth between $2.75-and-$3 million a year.
Stepan, 23, has been very good in his first three seasons in the NHL, compiling 140 points in 212 games; however, the Rangers appear to be holding steady on demanding a bridge contract for the restricted free agent with no arbitration rights.
“I am not going to give a long-term contract at this stage and he is a good player, a smart player, a good team guy,” Rangers general manager Glen Sather told Edmonton’s Team 1260 in August. “There is certainly nothing wrong with him, but you need to wait a little while before you get the big bucks.”
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 26
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 80
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)