Sep 10, 2013, 12:04 PM EST
Quick update on Derek Stepan‘s contract negotiations with the New York Rangers:
“A deal is not imminent and obviously Derek will not report (to camp) without a contract,” Stepan’s agent, Matt Oates, told The New York Post.
From Post reporter Larry Brooks:
Stepan is believed seeking a five- or six-year deal in the neighborhood of $5 million per while the Rangers are believed offering a two-year contract worth between $2.75-and-$3 million a year.
Stepan, 23, has been very good in his first three seasons in the NHL, compiling 140 points in 212 games; however, the Rangers appear to be holding steady on demanding a bridge contract for the restricted free agent with no arbitration rights.
“I am not going to give a long-term contract at this stage and he is a good player, a smart player, a good team guy,” Rangers general manager Glen Sather told Edmonton’s Team 1260 in August. “There is certainly nothing wrong with him, but you need to wait a little while before you get the big bucks.”
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 0
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 5
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 9
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 81
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 78
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (81)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)