Sep 10, 2013, 12:04 PM EDT
Quick update on Derek Stepan‘s contract negotiations with the New York Rangers:
“A deal is not imminent and obviously Derek will not report (to camp) without a contract,” Stepan’s agent, Matt Oates, told The New York Post.
From Post reporter Larry Brooks:
Stepan is believed seeking a five- or six-year deal in the neighborhood of $5 million per while the Rangers are believed offering a two-year contract worth between $2.75-and-$3 million a year.
Stepan, 23, has been very good in his first three seasons in the NHL, compiling 140 points in 212 games; however, the Rangers appear to be holding steady on demanding a bridge contract for the restricted free agent with no arbitration rights.
“I am not going to give a long-term contract at this stage and he is a good player, a smart player, a good team guy,” Rangers general manager Glen Sather told Edmonton’s Team 1260 in August. “There is certainly nothing wrong with him, but you need to wait a little while before you get the big bucks.”
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 1
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 20
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)