Sep 10, 2013, 3:01 PM EST
One of the most interesting battles from San Jose’s training camp will be for the No. 2 netminding job behind Antti Niemi.
With Thomas Greiss gone (signed in Phoenix), the gig will go to either Alex Stalock (a veteran of three NHL contests) or Harri Sateri (a veteran of zero) — and, according to head coach Todd McLellan, Stalock’s edge in experience won’t matter much.
“To say that Alex has the inside edge on Harri would be unfair to both of them,” McLellan told CSN Bay Area. “We know where [Niemi] stands, and he looks good.
“[Niemi] can’t play 82 games, and it’s not a lockout season, so whoever wins that other job will get a chance to play and really establish themselves in the league.”
Stalock, 26, was sidelined for nearly a year after suffering a sliced nerve behind his knee in 2011. He battled back to rejoin AHL Worcester and made a brief appearance for the Sharks last season, appearing in two games.
Sateri, 23, was a Sharks draftee in 2008 that’s spent the last three seasons in Worcester, splitting time with Stalock. Prior to coming to North America he played with Tampere of Finland’s SM-liiga, appearing in a career-high 49 games during the 2009-10 campaign.
While the battle will be tight, whoever wins the job likely won’t be busy. Niemi has been one of the NHL’s biggest workhorses over the last two years, tying for the league lead in starts (43) last season and finishing fifth in 2011-12, with 68.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 13
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 76
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 4
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)