Sep 10, 2013, 3:01 PM EDT
One of the most interesting battles from San Jose’s training camp will be for the No. 2 netminding job behind Antti Niemi.
With Thomas Greiss gone (signed in Phoenix), the gig will go to either Alex Stalock (a veteran of three NHL contests) or Harri Sateri (a veteran of zero) — and, according to head coach Todd McLellan, Stalock’s edge in experience won’t matter much.
“To say that Alex has the inside edge on Harri would be unfair to both of them,” McLellan told CSN Bay Area. “We know where [Niemi] stands, and he looks good.
“[Niemi] can’t play 82 games, and it’s not a lockout season, so whoever wins that other job will get a chance to play and really establish themselves in the league.”
Stalock, 26, was sidelined for nearly a year after suffering a sliced nerve behind his knee in 2011. He battled back to rejoin AHL Worcester and made a brief appearance for the Sharks last season, appearing in two games.
Sateri, 23, was a Sharks draftee in 2008 that’s spent the last three seasons in Worcester, splitting time with Stalock. Prior to coming to North America he played with Tampere of Finland’s SM-liiga, appearing in a career-high 49 games during the 2009-10 campaign.
While the battle will be tight, whoever wins the job likely won’t be busy. Niemi has been one of the NHL’s biggest workhorses over the last two years, tying for the league lead in starts (43) last season and finishing fifth in 2011-12, with 68.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)