Sep 10, 2013, 4:29 PM EST
The Buffalo Sabres have given Colton Gillies another shot at reviving his NHL career.
The Sabres released their training camp roster on Tuesday, revealing that Gillies — the 16th overall pick at the 2007 NHL Entry Draft — will be attending on a professional try out.
Gillies, 24, has fallen on hard times after making his NHL debut for Minnesota at 19 years of age.
Things started brightly with the Wild — Gillies made the team out of training camp in 2008-09 and appeared in 45 games, scoring seven points — but quickly turned south as he toiled in AHL Houston for the better part of two seasons.
Gillies appeared in just seven games for Minnesota during the 2010-11 season and 37 during the 2011-12 campaign before being placed on waivers, where he was quickly scooped up by Columbus.
While the former WHL Saskatoon standout did carve a role for himself with the Jackets — he appeared in 27 games last season — he was a healthy scratch on numerous occasions and wasn’t brought back after his contract expired in July.
All this said, Gillies does have some upside. He’s big (6-foot-4, 207 pounds), relatively young and has over 150 games of NHL experience.
He’s also competing for a spot on a Sabres team with just 11 forwards under contract (Cody Hodgson, still unsigned, will be the 12th) — but it remains to be seen if he’ll get a shot ahead of promising youngsters like Zemgus Girgensons and Joel Armia.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 2
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 4
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 1
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 17
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)