Sep 10, 2013, 4:29 PM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres have given Colton Gillies another shot at reviving his NHL career.
The Sabres released their training camp roster on Tuesday, revealing that Gillies — the 16th overall pick at the 2007 NHL Entry Draft — will be attending on a professional try out.
Gillies, 24, has fallen on hard times after making his NHL debut for Minnesota at 19 years of age.
Things started brightly with the Wild — Gillies made the team out of training camp in 2008-09 and appeared in 45 games, scoring seven points — but quickly turned south as he toiled in AHL Houston for the better part of two seasons.
Gillies appeared in just seven games for Minnesota during the 2010-11 season and 37 during the 2011-12 campaign before being placed on waivers, where he was quickly scooped up by Columbus.
While the former WHL Saskatoon standout did carve a role for himself with the Jackets — he appeared in 27 games last season — he was a healthy scratch on numerous occasions and wasn’t brought back after his contract expired in July.
All this said, Gillies does have some upside. He’s big (6-foot-4, 207 pounds), relatively young and has over 150 games of NHL experience.
He’s also competing for a spot on a Sabres team with just 11 forwards under contract (Cody Hodgson, still unsigned, will be the 12th) — but it remains to be seen if he’ll get a shot ahead of promising youngsters like Zemgus Girgensons and Joel Armia.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)