Sep 10, 2013, 4:29 PM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres have given Colton Gillies another shot at reviving his NHL career.
The Sabres released their training camp roster on Tuesday, revealing that Gillies — the 16th overall pick at the 2007 NHL Entry Draft — will be attending on a professional try out.
Gillies, 24, has fallen on hard times after making his NHL debut for Minnesota at 19 years of age.
Things started brightly with the Wild — Gillies made the team out of training camp in 2008-09 and appeared in 45 games, scoring seven points — but quickly turned south as he toiled in AHL Houston for the better part of two seasons.
Gillies appeared in just seven games for Minnesota during the 2010-11 season and 37 during the 2011-12 campaign before being placed on waivers, where he was quickly scooped up by Columbus.
While the former WHL Saskatoon standout did carve a role for himself with the Jackets — he appeared in 27 games last season — he was a healthy scratch on numerous occasions and wasn’t brought back after his contract expired in July.
All this said, Gillies does have some upside. He’s big (6-foot-4, 207 pounds), relatively young and has over 150 games of NHL experience.
He’s also competing for a spot on a Sabres team with just 11 forwards under contract (Cody Hodgson, still unsigned, will be the 12th) — but it remains to be seen if he’ll get a shot ahead of promising youngsters like Zemgus Girgensons and Joel Armia.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 9
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 72
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)