Sep 10, 2013, 4:29 PM EDT
The Buffalo Sabres have given Colton Gillies another shot at reviving his NHL career.
The Sabres released their training camp roster on Tuesday, revealing that Gillies — the 16th overall pick at the 2007 NHL Entry Draft — will be attending on a professional try out.
Gillies, 24, has fallen on hard times after making his NHL debut for Minnesota at 19 years of age.
Things started brightly with the Wild — Gillies made the team out of training camp in 2008-09 and appeared in 45 games, scoring seven points — but quickly turned south as he toiled in AHL Houston for the better part of two seasons.
Gillies appeared in just seven games for Minnesota during the 2010-11 season and 37 during the 2011-12 campaign before being placed on waivers, where he was quickly scooped up by Columbus.
While the former WHL Saskatoon standout did carve a role for himself with the Jackets — he appeared in 27 games last season — he was a healthy scratch on numerous occasions and wasn’t brought back after his contract expired in July.
All this said, Gillies does have some upside. He’s big (6-foot-4, 207 pounds), relatively young and has over 150 games of NHL experience.
He’s also competing for a spot on a Sabres team with just 11 forwards under contract (Cody Hodgson, still unsigned, will be the 12th) — but it remains to be seen if he’ll get a shot ahead of promising youngsters like Zemgus Girgensons and Joel Armia.
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 2
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 32
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 143
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 15
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 4
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 28
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 15
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (143)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)