Sep 10, 2013, 1:02 AM EDT
Considering the fact that the Philadelphia Flyers were in a pretty tight salary cap situation even before you account for Dan Cleary’s $2.75 million cap hit, it’s not surprising that the Courier-Post’s Dave Isaac reports that the team will need to make a trade so the pieces can fit.
Isaac is understandably vague about when that might happen because Cleary’s contract cannot really hit the books until the Flyers are cap compliant, anyway.
While the trade talk is more speculative, there are a few impacts Isaac points to that may be a bit more immediate.
For one thing, Isaac expects the 34-year-old forward to practice with the team by way of a professional tryout before the deal is official. (One would assume that insurance concerns would need to be cleared up before this could happen, but who knows.)
He also believes that Flyers prospects (such as Scott Laughton) will likely lose out on a third-line left wing spot that was believed to be in play in training camp. Perhaps Laughton & Co. might still have a chance to make the roster overall, though.
Finally, this signing “virtually guarantees” that Simon Gagne won’t make the team, according to Isaac.
Then again, if the Flyers have taught us anything, it’s that it’s dangerous to assume much of anything with the Broad Street Bullies.
- Discuss: Habs overcome three-goal deficit, beat Senators in overtime 9
- Canucks ready to face Luongo on Sunday 1
- West update: Stars blow lead yet still improve hold on wild card spot 4
- East update: Red Wings eke out shootout win for key points 0
- Luongo continues to foil Schneider as Panthers damage Devils’ playoff hopes 3
- TGIF: In which we salivate over potential playoff matchups 10
- Backstrom to receive silver medal, IOC says Sweden doctor ‘made a serious error’ 29
- Pens lose Neal to concussion 61
- Here are the top 10 and bottom 10 goalies in even-strength save percentage 22
- Weekend preview: Flyers-Pens rivalry renewed, Bruins look to stay hot 13
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (98)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (62)
- Pens lose Neal to concussion (61)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)