Sep 10, 2013, 1:02 AM EDT
Considering the fact that the Philadelphia Flyers were in a pretty tight salary cap situation even before you account for Dan Cleary’s $2.75 million cap hit, it’s not surprising that the Courier-Post’s Dave Isaac reports that the team will need to make a trade so the pieces can fit.
Isaac is understandably vague about when that might happen because Cleary’s contract cannot really hit the books until the Flyers are cap compliant, anyway.
While the trade talk is more speculative, there are a few impacts Isaac points to that may be a bit more immediate.
For one thing, Isaac expects the 34-year-old forward to practice with the team by way of a professional tryout before the deal is official. (One would assume that insurance concerns would need to be cleared up before this could happen, but who knows.)
He also believes that Flyers prospects (such as Scott Laughton) will likely lose out on a third-line left wing spot that was believed to be in play in training camp. Perhaps Laughton & Co. might still have a chance to make the roster overall, though.
Finally, this signing “virtually guarantees” that Simon Gagne won’t make the team, according to Isaac.
Then again, if the Flyers have taught us anything, it’s that it’s dangerous to assume much of anything with the Broad Street Bullies.
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 2
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 45
- Video: Lightning bolt to series lead on Kucherov’s double OT winner 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 8
- Report: BOG to vote on Vegas expansion in September 1
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits 102
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (102)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappointment as Wild advance (99)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)