Sep 10, 2013, 1:02 AM EDT
Considering the fact that the Philadelphia Flyers were in a pretty tight salary cap situation even before you account for Dan Cleary’s $2.75 million cap hit, it’s not surprising that the Courier-Post’s Dave Isaac reports that the team will need to make a trade so the pieces can fit.
Isaac is understandably vague about when that might happen because Cleary’s contract cannot really hit the books until the Flyers are cap compliant, anyway.
While the trade talk is more speculative, there are a few impacts Isaac points to that may be a bit more immediate.
For one thing, Isaac expects the 34-year-old forward to practice with the team by way of a professional tryout before the deal is official. (One would assume that insurance concerns would need to be cleared up before this could happen, but who knows.)
He also believes that Flyers prospects (such as Scott Laughton) will likely lose out on a third-line left wing spot that was believed to be in play in training camp. Perhaps Laughton & Co. might still have a chance to make the roster overall, though.
Finally, this signing “virtually guarantees” that Simon Gagne won’t make the team, according to Isaac.
Then again, if the Flyers have taught us anything, it’s that it’s dangerous to assume much of anything with the Broad Street Bullies.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 19
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 18
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 28
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)