Sep 10, 2013, 1:02 AM EDT
Considering the fact that the Philadelphia Flyers were in a pretty tight salary cap situation even before you account for Dan Cleary’s $2.75 million cap hit, it’s not surprising that the Courier-Post’s Dave Isaac reports that the team will need to make a trade so the pieces can fit.
Isaac is understandably vague about when that might happen because Cleary’s contract cannot really hit the books until the Flyers are cap compliant, anyway.
While the trade talk is more speculative, there are a few impacts Isaac points to that may be a bit more immediate.
For one thing, Isaac expects the 34-year-old forward to practice with the team by way of a professional tryout before the deal is official. (One would assume that insurance concerns would need to be cleared up before this could happen, but who knows.)
He also believes that Flyers prospects (such as Scott Laughton) will likely lose out on a third-line left wing spot that was believed to be in play in training camp. Perhaps Laughton & Co. might still have a chance to make the roster overall, though.
Finally, this signing “virtually guarantees” that Simon Gagne won’t make the team, according to Isaac.
Then again, if the Flyers have taught us anything, it’s that it’s dangerous to assume much of anything with the Broad Street Bullies.
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 1
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 16
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 1
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 8
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 71
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 66
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (71)