Sep 10, 2013, 11:05 AM EDT
The Montreal Canadiens are bringing an extra defenseman to training camp this week and, if he doesn’t crack the blueline, could contribute to the city’s thriving music scene.
Matt Lashoff — Boston’s first-round pick at the 2005 NHL Entry Draft — has been invited to Habs camp on a PTO, the club announced on Monday.
Lashoff, 26, spent last season playing for the ZSC Lions of the Swiss league.
A former OHL Kitchener standout, Lashoff spent four years with the B’s organization before being flipped to Tampa in 2009 as part of the Mark Recchi trade. After a brief stint with the Bolts, he was flipped to Toronto in 2010 and 11 games for the Leafs, spending the majority of his time with the AHL Marlies.
Montreal will have 16 defensemen at camp and are loaded with NHL contracts (projected top eight: P.K. Subban, Andrei Markov, Josh Gorges, Douglas Murray, Francis Bouillon, Raphael Diaz, David Drewiske, Jarred Tinordi).
The club is bringing in extras to fill the gap left by the injured Alexei Emelin but, even with that opportunity open, Lashoff will still be in tough to make the team.
But that’s probably OK. In addition to hockey, Lashoff is a budding musician who released his first album, “Living On Heart,” in early 2011.
No word if he passed along his demo tape to Starla at KZOG 530.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 50
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 8
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)