Sep 10, 2013, 1:01 PM EST
Marian Gaborik is good to go.
That was the word out of Columbus on Tuesday, as GM Jarmo Kekalainen and president John Davidson said their big trade deadline acquisition was fully recovered from offseason abdominal surgery.
Gaborik, 31, underwent the procedure in early May and had an estimated recovery period of one month.
“Marian experienced some soreness towards the end of the season and after undergoing his exit physical and further examination today, it was decided that surgery is the best option for a quick and full recovery,” Davidson said at the time.
The procedure forced Gaborik to skip playing for Slovakia at the IIHF World Championships.
The decision to undergo surgery immediately following the ’13 campaign was an important one for both sides.
For Columbus, it meant Gaborik would be fully ready to start the year and embrace a full season in Ohio. Last year, he sparked the team upon his arrival, scoring eight points in 12 games as the Jackets went 9-3-0 with him in the lineup.
For Gaborik, this is a contract year. His five-year, $37.5 million deal expires at season’s end and he’ll need a stellar campaign to net anything close to the $7.5 million he’s earning annually right now.
The Dispatch’s Aaron Portzline reports Columbus and Gaborik have had no discussions about a contract extension yet, but Kekalainen did say talks will likely commence at some point this season.
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 3
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 33
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 63
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 31
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)