Sep 10, 2013, 1:01 PM EST
Marian Gaborik is good to go.
That was the word out of Columbus on Tuesday, as GM Jarmo Kekalainen and president John Davidson said their big trade deadline acquisition was fully recovered from offseason abdominal surgery.
Gaborik, 31, underwent the procedure in early May and had an estimated recovery period of one month.
“Marian experienced some soreness towards the end of the season and after undergoing his exit physical and further examination today, it was decided that surgery is the best option for a quick and full recovery,” Davidson said at the time.
The procedure forced Gaborik to skip playing for Slovakia at the IIHF World Championships.
The decision to undergo surgery immediately following the ’13 campaign was an important one for both sides.
For Columbus, it meant Gaborik would be fully ready to start the year and embrace a full season in Ohio. Last year, he sparked the team upon his arrival, scoring eight points in 12 games as the Jackets went 9-3-0 with him in the lineup.
For Gaborik, this is a contract year. His five-year, $37.5 million deal expires at season’s end and he’ll need a stellar campaign to net anything close to the $7.5 million he’s earning annually right now.
The Dispatch’s Aaron Portzline reports Columbus and Gaborik have had no discussions about a contract extension yet, but Kekalainen did say talks will likely commence at some point this season.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 4
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)