Sep 10, 2013, 1:01 PM EDT
Marian Gaborik is good to go.
That was the word out of Columbus on Tuesday, as GM Jarmo Kekalainen and president John Davidson said their big trade deadline acquisition was fully recovered from offseason abdominal surgery.
Gaborik, 31, underwent the procedure in early May and had an estimated recovery period of one month.
“Marian experienced some soreness towards the end of the season and after undergoing his exit physical and further examination today, it was decided that surgery is the best option for a quick and full recovery,” Davidson said at the time.
The procedure forced Gaborik to skip playing for Slovakia at the IIHF World Championships.
The decision to undergo surgery immediately following the ’13 campaign was an important one for both sides.
For Columbus, it meant Gaborik would be fully ready to start the year and embrace a full season in Ohio. Last year, he sparked the team upon his arrival, scoring eight points in 12 games as the Jackets went 9-3-0 with him in the lineup.
For Gaborik, this is a contract year. His five-year, $37.5 million deal expires at season’s end and he’ll need a stellar campaign to net anything close to the $7.5 million he’s earning annually right now.
The Dispatch’s Aaron Portzline reports Columbus and Gaborik have had no discussions about a contract extension yet, but Kekalainen did say talks will likely commence at some point this season.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)