Sep 10, 2013, 11:19 AM EST
Ever wonder what happened to former — and legendary — NHL enforcer Link Gaetz?
From the Kamloops Daily News (British Columbia):
The Crown has dropped one charge against former NHL enforcer Link Gaetz after his alleged victim died July 6 in a drowning accident.
Jean Guye-Vuilleme, 72, drowned in Seton Lake after walking into the water at Seton Beach.
Defence lawyer Jeremy Jensen said the Crown subsequently dropped the charge of assault against Gaetz for an incident involving Guye-Vuilleme at the Dairy Queen in Cache Creek on April 20 last year.
But a second charge of causing a disturbance remains outstanding.
Gaetz, knicknamed Missing Link during his brief NHL career with the San Jose Sharks, reportedly screamed and yelled inside the restaurant and became involved in a consensual fight with several people following the tussle with Guye-Vuilleme.
The kicker? Gaetz could not appear in court because he’s in custody in Alberta for other criminal stuff.
None of this is particularly new for Gaetz, who racked up 326 PIM for the San Jose Sharks in just 48 games during the 1991-92 season. If you’ve got a minute or two, give this ESPN The Magazine story a read. (Here’s a teaser: “He passed a church, shot out the stained glass windows. He was disappointed because he was aiming for the bell.”)
- Cardiac Cats: Panthers win as Reimer, Leafs fade in third 8
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 7
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 7
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 75
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2