Sep 10, 2013, 11:19 AM EST
Ever wonder what happened to former — and legendary — NHL enforcer Link Gaetz?
From the Kamloops Daily News (British Columbia):
The Crown has dropped one charge against former NHL enforcer Link Gaetz after his alleged victim died July 6 in a drowning accident.
Jean Guye-Vuilleme, 72, drowned in Seton Lake after walking into the water at Seton Beach.
Defence lawyer Jeremy Jensen said the Crown subsequently dropped the charge of assault against Gaetz for an incident involving Guye-Vuilleme at the Dairy Queen in Cache Creek on April 20 last year.
But a second charge of causing a disturbance remains outstanding.
Gaetz, knicknamed Missing Link during his brief NHL career with the San Jose Sharks, reportedly screamed and yelled inside the restaurant and became involved in a consensual fight with several people following the tussle with Guye-Vuilleme.
The kicker? Gaetz could not appear in court because he’s in custody in Alberta for other criminal stuff.
None of this is particularly new for Gaetz, who racked up 326 PIM for the San Jose Sharks in just 48 games during the 1991-92 season. If you’ve got a minute or two, give this ESPN The Magazine story a read. (Here’s a teaser: “He passed a church, shot out the stained glass windows. He was disappointed because he was aiming for the bell.”)
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 0
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 19
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 12
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 26
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 8
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 42
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 42
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 14
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 64
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 45
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (168)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)