Sep 10, 2013, 9:59 AM EDT
Dallas Eakins is the latest in a long line of head coaches that have walked through the Edmonton Oilers’ revolving doors in recent years. He’ll be the fifth bench boss this team has had in just six years after Ralph Krueger was fired following a mere 48-game stint.
This is a team that’s desperately trying to move away from rebuilding after missing the playoffs for seven straight seasons. With that in mind, Eakins wants people to start looking at the Oilers in a different way.
“I’ve asked the media here to stop referring to our team as a young team,” Eakins told the Toronto Star. “You do that and really you’re just talking about a few individuals and alienating a bunch of the other guys. Usually when people talk about a young team its means it’s OK to lose. Well, it’s not OK.
“We’re an NHL team with expectations.”
Of course, the core of this team is still relatively young, but not devoid of NHL experience. Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberle are gearing up for their fourth campaign. Years of poor showings have allowed them to draft a great group of skilled forwards, but Eakins’ team still has plenty to prove when it comes to defense and toughness.
He’ll also have to deal with injuries early on as Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is projected to miss the first month of the season. To that end, he’s asked Hall to practice taking faceoffs in the hope that he can at least temporarily shift from the left wing to center.
“If it doesn’t work, it won’t be Taylor’s fault,” Eakins said. “Maybe it’ll work or maybe the coach is just crazy.”
Either way, Eakins is “all in” and determined to end the cycle of losing.
Jul 30, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
They’ll face off against Canada and Russia at a tournament in Toronto next week.
Jul 30, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
Acquired last season in exchange for Krys Barch.
Jul 30, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
“We’re moving along on that.”
Jul 30, 2014, 6:28 PM EDT
“We haven’t approached it in that respect.”
Jul 30, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
This time, it features just one plaintiff — former Bruin Jon Rohloff.
Jul 30, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT
Alternate captain notched a career-high in goals last year.
Jul 30, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
“Usually this isn’t the time to fight for the big contract.”
Jul 30, 2014, 2:35 PM EDT
Jim Hiller is hoping to follow in the footsteps of Todd McLellan, Paul MacLean, and Bill Peters.
Jul 30, 2014, 1:28 PM EDT
Finnish club is moving to the KHL next season.
Jul 30, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT
Arbitration hearing is scheduled for Thursday.
Jul 30, 2014, 11:28 AM EDT
After not giving him a qualifying offer.
Jul 30, 2014, 11:12 AM EDT
That’s Lacroix, when he was an assistant for Tampa Bay.
Jul 30, 2014, 10:44 AM EDT
Jim Hiller and Andrew Brewer join Tony Granato, who’s also new.
Jul 30, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Jul 30, 2014, 10:10 AM EDT
Will this all get settled before Friday’s hearing?
Jul 30, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Tell us how you really feel, Brad.
Jul 30, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Kings captain meets Rangers fan. Hi-jinx ensue.
Jul 29, 2014, 10:02 PM EDT
From 64 (mercurial) to 10 (gritty!)
Jul 29, 2014, 9:02 PM EDT
Now battling Bon Jovi and Donald Trump!
Jul 29, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
“This has been a difficult decision for Kevin.”
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 23
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 16
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 44
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 55
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (55)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)