Sep 9, 2013, 7:31 PM EST
Like Alex Rodriguez and Kobe Bryant, Ottawa Senators forward Milan Michalek opted against major knee surgery, instead seeking out nontraditional specialist Dr. Peter Wehling. The Czech-born winger told Sportsnet’s Ian Mendes on Monday that his status is so far, so good.
“If I had a surgery it would have been long, so I wanted to go this way, and hopefully it’s going to be good,” Michalek said. “I went there right after the season, so it helped me right away. I’ve been progressing every day and it feels good now and I’m 100 percent.”
Golfer Vijay Singh raved to the New York Times about Wehling’s Regenokine treatment in July 2012.
“The results were incredible,” Singh said. “It’s like somebody just put oil all over your body. It lubes you up, and you’re able to move more freely, especially pain free.”
The Senators would certainly be pleased if Michalek, 28, can move well in 2013-14.
Michalek was limited to 23 games in 2013 after what seemed like a breakthrough 2011-12 season (35 goals, 60 points in 77 contests). He’s been fairly injury prone since joining the Senators via the Dany Heatley trade in 2009-10, but the Senators hope he can get healthier after showing glimpses of being a legitimate first-line scorer alongside Jason Spezza.
Wehling’s treatment is still in something of a pioneering phase, so watching Michalek’s progress could be interesting for more than just Senators fans.
- Mike Richards clears waivers 15
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 11
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 53
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)