Sep 9, 2013, 7:31 PM EDT
Like Alex Rodriguez and Kobe Bryant, Ottawa Senators forward Milan Michalek opted against major knee surgery, instead seeking out nontraditional specialist Dr. Peter Wehling. The Czech-born winger told Sportsnet’s Ian Mendes on Monday that his status is so far, so good.
“If I had a surgery it would have been long, so I wanted to go this way, and hopefully it’s going to be good,” Michalek said. “I went there right after the season, so it helped me right away. I’ve been progressing every day and it feels good now and I’m 100 percent.”
Golfer Vijay Singh raved to the New York Times about Wehling’s Regenokine treatment in July 2012.
“The results were incredible,” Singh said. “It’s like somebody just put oil all over your body. It lubes you up, and you’re able to move more freely, especially pain free.”
The Senators would certainly be pleased if Michalek, 28, can move well in 2013-14.
Michalek was limited to 23 games in 2013 after what seemed like a breakthrough 2011-12 season (35 goals, 60 points in 77 contests). He’s been fairly injury prone since joining the Senators via the Dany Heatley trade in 2009-10, but the Senators hope he can get healthier after showing glimpses of being a legitimate first-line scorer alongside Jason Spezza.
Wehling’s treatment is still in something of a pioneering phase, so watching Michalek’s progress could be interesting for more than just Senators fans.
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 24
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (43)