Sep 9, 2013, 7:31 PM EDT
Like Alex Rodriguez and Kobe Bryant, Ottawa Senators forward Milan Michalek opted against major knee surgery, instead seeking out nontraditional specialist Dr. Peter Wehling. The Czech-born winger told Sportsnet’s Ian Mendes on Monday that his status is so far, so good.
“If I had a surgery it would have been long, so I wanted to go this way, and hopefully it’s going to be good,” Michalek said. “I went there right after the season, so it helped me right away. I’ve been progressing every day and it feels good now and I’m 100 percent.”
Golfer Vijay Singh raved to the New York Times about Wehling’s Regenokine treatment in July 2012.
“The results were incredible,” Singh said. “It’s like somebody just put oil all over your body. It lubes you up, and you’re able to move more freely, especially pain free.”
The Senators would certainly be pleased if Michalek, 28, can move well in 2013-14.
Michalek was limited to 23 games in 2013 after what seemed like a breakthrough 2011-12 season (35 goals, 60 points in 77 contests). He’s been fairly injury prone since joining the Senators via the Dany Heatley trade in 2009-10, but the Senators hope he can get healthier after showing glimpses of being a legitimate first-line scorer alongside Jason Spezza.
Wehling’s treatment is still in something of a pioneering phase, so watching Michalek’s progress could be interesting for more than just Senators fans.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (33)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)