Sep 9, 2013, 7:31 PM EDT
Like Alex Rodriguez and Kobe Bryant, Ottawa Senators forward Milan Michalek opted against major knee surgery, instead seeking out nontraditional specialist Dr. Peter Wehling. The Czech-born winger told Sportsnet’s Ian Mendes on Monday that his status is so far, so good.
“If I had a surgery it would have been long, so I wanted to go this way, and hopefully it’s going to be good,” Michalek said. “I went there right after the season, so it helped me right away. I’ve been progressing every day and it feels good now and I’m 100 percent.”
Golfer Vijay Singh raved to the New York Times about Wehling’s Regenokine treatment in July 2012.
“The results were incredible,” Singh said. “It’s like somebody just put oil all over your body. It lubes you up, and you’re able to move more freely, especially pain free.”
The Senators would certainly be pleased if Michalek, 28, can move well in 2013-14.
Michalek was limited to 23 games in 2013 after what seemed like a breakthrough 2011-12 season (35 goals, 60 points in 77 contests). He’s been fairly injury prone since joining the Senators via the Dany Heatley trade in 2009-10, but the Senators hope he can get healthier after showing glimpses of being a legitimate first-line scorer alongside Jason Spezza.
Wehling’s treatment is still in something of a pioneering phase, so watching Michalek’s progress could be interesting for more than just Senators fans.
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 13
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 3
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 22
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 11
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 96
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (96)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)