Sep 9, 2013, 7:31 PM EST
Like Alex Rodriguez and Kobe Bryant, Ottawa Senators forward Milan Michalek opted against major knee surgery, instead seeking out nontraditional specialist Dr. Peter Wehling. The Czech-born winger told Sportsnet’s Ian Mendes on Monday that his status is so far, so good.
“If I had a surgery it would have been long, so I wanted to go this way, and hopefully it’s going to be good,” Michalek said. “I went there right after the season, so it helped me right away. I’ve been progressing every day and it feels good now and I’m 100 percent.”
Golfer Vijay Singh raved to the New York Times about Wehling’s Regenokine treatment in July 2012.
“The results were incredible,” Singh said. “It’s like somebody just put oil all over your body. It lubes you up, and you’re able to move more freely, especially pain free.”
The Senators would certainly be pleased if Michalek, 28, can move well in 2013-14.
Michalek was limited to 23 games in 2013 after what seemed like a breakthrough 2011-12 season (35 goals, 60 points in 77 contests). He’s been fairly injury prone since joining the Senators via the Dany Heatley trade in 2009-10, but the Senators hope he can get healthier after showing glimpses of being a legitimate first-line scorer alongside Jason Spezza.
Wehling’s treatment is still in something of a pioneering phase, so watching Michalek’s progress could be interesting for more than just Senators fans.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 141
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 97
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 116
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (142)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (127)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (116)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (97)