Sep 9, 2013, 2:01 PM EDT
Now, we might know why.
In an interview with Team 1200 in Ottawa, NBC’s Pierre McGuire said Ryan was sick most of last year with an unspecified illness.
“I don’t know if Bobby wants this out there, but I’m going to put it out there anyway in the interest of proper information dissemination — Bobby Ryan was sick most of last year,” McGuire explained. “He had a really tough time with an illness that they eventually traced, believed it or not, to a trip he took over to the far east.
“It was something with his digestive system, and it was a real problem for him. He’s healthy now, he’s 100 percent and I know he’s really excited about being [in Ottawa].”
Ryan, 26, scored 30 points in 46 games for the Ducks last year and his 0.65 points per game average was the lowest he’s posted since breaking into the NHL in 2007-08.
Late in the year, Ryan was sent home from a road trip with what was classified as the flu.
“First of all, we didn’t want anybody else catching anything,” Anaheim head coach Bruce Boudreau told the OC Register at the time. “And we wanted to make sure that he gets better. He just had a stomach virus.
“He’s getting better, which is a really good sign. I’m sure he’s going to be with us Friday. Hopefully play Saturday [season finale against Phoenix].”
Ryan did return for the ‘Yotes game (scoring a goal) and Anaheim’s opening-round playoff loss to Detroit. He scored four points in seven games, but only played more than 17 minutes once.
Of note, Ryan’s regular-season ice time was down to 16:35 in 2013 after averaging 18:21 TOI per game in 2011-12.
Sep 19, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
It’s part of the reason why the defenseman is playing for Washington.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:58 PM EDT
He suffered a concussion last season.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:17 PM EDT
Greg Sherman stayed on as his assistant.
Sep 19, 2014, 3:33 PM EDT
He’s not the only member of the Ducks that’s hurting.
Sep 19, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Held out of Kings’ on-ice activities on Friday.
Sep 19, 2014, 2:06 PM EDT
“We’re a cap team now, despite us being in the bottom five of the league in ticket revenue.”
Sep 19, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Flyers captain currently being evaluated.
Sep 19, 2014, 1:21 PM EDT
“We have two NHL centermen right now,” said Dallas Eakins.
Sep 19, 2014, 1:09 PM EDT
Just like they did last year.
Sep 19, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
But most of them wouldn’t have gone public with the negotiations.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
What does his future hold in Calgary?
Sep 19, 2014, 11:17 AM EDT
Will the men have to face NHLers?
Sep 19, 2014, 11:07 AM EDT
“But maybe we can control the top lines and outperform the lower lines.”
Sep 19, 2014, 10:56 AM EDT
“I’m sure they’re up to the task.”
Sep 19, 2014, 10:23 AM EDT
Understands what RFA Ryan Johansen is currently going through.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:47 AM EDT
Going old school for upcoming season.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:29 AM EDT
Missed Thursday’s activities.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:46 AM EDT
Hopes to find the right fit on his second line.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Jamie McGinn and John Mitchell also rank among the already-wounded.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:08 PM EDT
Peter Chiarelli also (kinda sorta) addressed Johnny Boychuk rumors.
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 23
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)