Sep 9, 2013, 2:01 PM EDT
Now, we might know why.
In an interview with Team 1200 in Ottawa, NBC’s Pierre McGuire said Ryan was sick most of last year with an unspecified illness.
“I don’t know if Bobby wants this out there, but I’m going to put it out there anyway in the interest of proper information dissemination — Bobby Ryan was sick most of last year,” McGuire explained. “He had a really tough time with an illness that they eventually traced, believed it or not, to a trip he took over to the far east.
“It was something with his digestive system, and it was a real problem for him. He’s healthy now, he’s 100 percent and I know he’s really excited about being [in Ottawa].”
Ryan, 26, scored 30 points in 46 games for the Ducks last year and his 0.65 points per game average was the lowest he’s posted since breaking into the NHL in 2007-08.
Late in the year, Ryan was sent home from a road trip with what was classified as the flu.
“First of all, we didn’t want anybody else catching anything,” Anaheim head coach Bruce Boudreau told the OC Register at the time. “And we wanted to make sure that he gets better. He just had a stomach virus.
“He’s getting better, which is a really good sign. I’m sure he’s going to be with us Friday. Hopefully play Saturday [season finale against Phoenix].”
Ryan did return for the ‘Yotes game (scoring a goal) and Anaheim’s opening-round playoff loss to Detroit. He scored four points in seven games, but only played more than 17 minutes once.
Of note, Ryan’s regular-season ice time was down to 16:35 in 2013 after averaging 18:21 TOI per game in 2011-12.
Apr 16, 2014, 1:14 AM EDT
Well, that’s good for St. Louis.
Apr 16, 2014, 12:15 AM EDT
Apr 15, 2014, 11:17 PM EDT
They’ve struggled after the Olympics.
Apr 15, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
It was a tough season in Buffalo.
Apr 15, 2014, 9:31 PM EDT
“It puts a lot more pressure on everybody else,” says Nathan MacKinnon.
Apr 15, 2014, 8:25 PM EDT
After losing the No. 1 pick to Colorado last year.
Apr 15, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT
Anders Lindback gets the start.
Apr 15, 2014, 7:14 PM EDT
Didn’t practice Tuesday.
Apr 15, 2014, 6:55 PM EDT
Heck, will Steve Mason even be available?
Apr 15, 2014, 6:43 PM EDT
Just days after another group of ex-players filed last Thursday.
Apr 15, 2014, 5:31 PM EDT
What about the Stars over the Ducks?
Apr 15, 2014, 5:16 PM EDT
“He’s relentless,” according to Craig MacTavish.
Apr 15, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
“I don’t think I can screw it up too bad whoever I choose.”
Apr 15, 2014, 3:13 PM EDT
The city has terminated the contract.
Apr 15, 2014, 2:39 PM EDT
You don’t say.
Apr 15, 2014, 2:08 PM EDT
“That’s not been determined yet,” said head coach Craig Berube.
Apr 15, 2014, 1:50 PM EDT
Even if they beat Minnesota, that question won’t be put to bed.
Apr 15, 2014, 1:10 PM EDT
Union College standout was a third-round pick in ’12.
Apr 15, 2014, 1:01 PM EDT
“We have no qualms whatsoever about a long-term problem with it.”
Apr 15, 2014, 12:38 PM EDT
“I’m not naive to the talk. I’ve been asked the question lots.”
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)