Sep 9, 2013, 2:01 PM EDT
Now, we might know why.
In an interview with Team 1200 in Ottawa, NBC’s Pierre McGuire said Ryan was sick most of last year with an unspecified illness.
“I don’t know if Bobby wants this out there, but I’m going to put it out there anyway in the interest of proper information dissemination — Bobby Ryan was sick most of last year,” McGuire explained. “He had a really tough time with an illness that they eventually traced, believed it or not, to a trip he took over to the far east.
“It was something with his digestive system, and it was a real problem for him. He’s healthy now, he’s 100 percent and I know he’s really excited about being [in Ottawa].”
Ryan, 26, scored 30 points in 46 games for the Ducks last year and his 0.65 points per game average was the lowest he’s posted since breaking into the NHL in 2007-08.
Late in the year, Ryan was sent home from a road trip with what was classified as the flu.
“First of all, we didn’t want anybody else catching anything,” Anaheim head coach Bruce Boudreau told the OC Register at the time. “And we wanted to make sure that he gets better. He just had a stomach virus.
“He’s getting better, which is a really good sign. I’m sure he’s going to be with us Friday. Hopefully play Saturday [season finale against Phoenix].”
Ryan did return for the ‘Yotes game (scoring a goal) and Anaheim’s opening-round playoff loss to Detroit. He scored four points in seven games, but only played more than 17 minutes once.
Of note, Ryan’s regular-season ice time was down to 16:35 in 2013 after averaging 18:21 TOI per game in 2011-12.
May 27, 2015, 12:09 AM EDT
Game 7. Friday in New York.
May 26, 2015, 11:34 PM EDT
“Boy, that escalated quickly…”
May 26, 2015, 11:03 PM EDT
Ben Bishop pulled in the third period.
May 26, 2015, 10:29 PM EDT
Timonen is averaging under 10 minutes of ice time per game in playoffs.
May 26, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT
Hadn’t scored since April 4.
May 26, 2015, 9:16 PM EDT
New York scored to make it 2-0 soon after that.
May 26, 2015, 8:52 PM EDT
New York needs the win to force Game 7.
May 26, 2015, 8:13 PM EDT
“We’ve had a lot of informal discussions with people about this, but us or the city have yet to be presented with any kind of offer.”
May 26, 2015, 7:24 PM EDT
New York facing elimination, yet again.
May 26, 2015, 6:29 PM EDT
“I’ve had some people reach out to me,” the Red Wings GM said.
May 26, 2015, 5:24 PM EDT
Meanwhile, GM Doug Armstrong says, “Show me a well-liked coach, and I’ll show you a losing coach.”
May 26, 2015, 4:57 PM EDT
But let’s not call it the end of an era.
May 26, 2015, 4:31 PM EDT
Michael Russo of the StarTribune being the reporter.
May 26, 2015, 3:55 PM EDT
“The Flyers have never intentionally tried to lose. That would put a foul taste in my mouth. “
May 26, 2015, 2:46 PM EDT
“Does he ride guys hard and has he been on my case at times, where it’s made me angry? Yes. But he does it in the light of trying to make our team better, trying to make each individual player better.”
May 26, 2015, 2:14 PM EDT
Had a bad giveaway in Game 5, but those giveaways are going to happen occasionally.
May 26, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
Could be held out of tonight’s potential series-clinching tilt.
May 26, 2015, 1:10 PM EDT
But there’s nothing imminent, according to his agent.
May 26, 2015, 12:34 PM EDT
The 36-year-old played just 14:44 last night in Anaheim.
May 26, 2015, 11:55 AM EDT
“There has been some discussion and there will continue to be.”
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 0
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 9
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 33
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)