Sep 9, 2013, 10:05 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings’ prospects beat the Buffalo Sabres’ group 4-2 on Monday to win the 2013 Traverse City tournament, the franchise’s first No. 1 finish.
Anthony Mantha scored twice while Zach Nastasiuk and Tomas Jurco (empty-netter) also found the net for the Red Wings. Buffalo’s goal-scorers were Peter Trainor and Frederick Roy.
As you can see from the Red Wings’ Twitter feed, Gordie Howe visited Detroit’s prospects before Monday’s game, which was probably a bigger deal for those young players than taking the top spot:
The Sabres obviously settled for second place after winning the last tournament. The Dallas Stars edged the Columbus Blue Jackets for third place while the St. Louis Blues beat the Carolina Hurricanes for fifth.
(Main image also via the Red Wings.)
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)