Sep 9, 2013, 10:05 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings’ prospects beat the Buffalo Sabres’ group 4-2 on Monday to win the 2013 Traverse City tournament, the franchise’s first No. 1 finish.
Anthony Mantha scored twice while Zach Nastasiuk and Tomas Jurco (empty-netter) also found the net for the Red Wings. Buffalo’s goal-scorers were Peter Trainor and Frederick Roy.
As you can see from the Red Wings’ Twitter feed, Gordie Howe visited Detroit’s prospects before Monday’s game, which was probably a bigger deal for those young players than taking the top spot:
The Sabres obviously settled for second place after winning the last tournament. The Dallas Stars edged the Columbus Blue Jackets for third place while the St. Louis Blues beat the Carolina Hurricanes for fifth.
(Main image also via the Red Wings.)
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 0
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 2
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 7
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 66
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 63
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 165
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 18
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 6
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 25
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (165)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)