Sep 9, 2013, 10:05 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings’ prospects beat the Buffalo Sabres’ group 4-2 on Monday to win the 2013 Traverse City tournament, the franchise’s first No. 1 finish.
Anthony Mantha scored twice while Zach Nastasiuk and Tomas Jurco (empty-netter) also found the net for the Red Wings. Buffalo’s goal-scorers were Peter Trainor and Frederick Roy.
As you can see from the Red Wings’ Twitter feed, Gordie Howe visited Detroit’s prospects before Monday’s game, which was probably a bigger deal for those young players than taking the top spot:
The Sabres obviously settled for second place after winning the last tournament. The Dallas Stars edged the Columbus Blue Jackets for third place while the St. Louis Blues beat the Carolina Hurricanes for fifth.
(Main image also via the Red Wings.)
- Lightning’s Vasilevskiy out 2-3 months after getting blood clot removed 4
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 23
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)