Sep 9, 2013, 10:05 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings’ prospects beat the Buffalo Sabres’ group 4-2 on Monday to win the 2013 Traverse City tournament, the franchise’s first No. 1 finish.
Anthony Mantha scored twice while Zach Nastasiuk and Tomas Jurco (empty-netter) also found the net for the Red Wings. Buffalo’s goal-scorers were Peter Trainor and Frederick Roy.
As you can see from the Red Wings’ Twitter feed, Gordie Howe visited Detroit’s prospects before Monday’s game, which was probably a bigger deal for those young players than taking the top spot:
The Sabres obviously settled for second place after winning the last tournament. The Dallas Stars edged the Columbus Blue Jackets for third place while the St. Louis Blues beat the Carolina Hurricanes for fifth.
(Main image also via the Red Wings.)
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 1
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 15
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; Blues tie it up in waning moments 67
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 33
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 58
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 114
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 57
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 7