Sep 9, 2013, 10:05 PM EST
The Detroit Red Wings’ prospects beat the Buffalo Sabres’ group 4-2 on Monday to win the 2013 Traverse City tournament, the franchise’s first No. 1 finish.
Anthony Mantha scored twice while Zach Nastasiuk and Tomas Jurco (empty-netter) also found the net for the Red Wings. Buffalo’s goal-scorers were Peter Trainor and Frederick Roy.
As you can see from the Red Wings’ Twitter feed, Gordie Howe visited Detroit’s prospects before Monday’s game, which was probably a bigger deal for those young players than taking the top spot:
The Sabres obviously settled for second place after winning the last tournament. The Dallas Stars edged the Columbus Blue Jackets for third place while the St. Louis Blues beat the Carolina Hurricanes for fifth.
(Main image also via the Red Wings.)
- Byfuglien out 2-4 weeks with upper-body injury; Little hurt, too 7
- Bettman concedes there are ‘some members of the NHL family who would like to see fewer shootouts’ 30
- Season over: Avs lose MacKinnon to broken foot 16
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 18
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 35
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 15
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 21
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32