Sep 9, 2013, 9:08 PM EDT
Specifically, Rinne was able to drop to his knees to make saves and generally move around more fluidly than before on Monday.
“This last week was the first time I was taking shots, and on my knees, moving laterally and stuff like that,” Rinne said. “Obviously I need to get more repeats, a lot more ice time, but I’m feeling good, and that’s the main thing.”
Rinne underwent hip surgery on May 9 after being hampered by it for much of the 2013 season.
While he’s obviously making progress, Rinne admitted that there’s still no timetable for his return to actual game action. Simply enough, he said it’s “up to my hip.”
The 30-year-old Finn saw his save percentage slide from .923 in 2011-12 to .910 in 2013 and was under .500 (15-6-8 in 43 games played) as both the goalie and his team struggled.
Nashville paid up big this summer, yet the biggest factor for success might come down to a healthy Rinne being at the top of his game, especially since they’re rolling with an inexperienced backup in Carter Hutton.
So far, the outlook seems positive.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 1
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 23
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 30
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)