Sep 9, 2013, 9:08 PM EDT
Specifically, Rinne was able to drop to his knees to make saves and generally move around more fluidly than before on Monday.
“This last week was the first time I was taking shots, and on my knees, moving laterally and stuff like that,” Rinne said. “Obviously I need to get more repeats, a lot more ice time, but I’m feeling good, and that’s the main thing.”
Rinne underwent hip surgery on May 9 after being hampered by it for much of the 2013 season.
While he’s obviously making progress, Rinne admitted that there’s still no timetable for his return to actual game action. Simply enough, he said it’s “up to my hip.”
The 30-year-old Finn saw his save percentage slide from .923 in 2011-12 to .910 in 2013 and was under .500 (15-6-8 in 43 games played) as both the goalie and his team struggled.
Nashville paid up big this summer, yet the biggest factor for success might come down to a healthy Rinne being at the top of his game, especially since they’re rolling with an inexperienced backup in Carter Hutton.
So far, the outlook seems positive.
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 9
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 64
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 16
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 40
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 12
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (89)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (64)