Sep 9, 2013, 3:59 PM EDT
On Monday, the Washington Capitals confirmed that captain Alex Ovechkin‘s been asked to participate in the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic torch relay, but said Ovechkin wouldn’t miss any NHL games doing so.
The relay — set to begin with the ceremonial lighting in Olympia, Greece, on Sept. 29 — will run from Oct. 7 to Feb. 7, a 123-day event that will mark the longest-ever torch relay in history.
According to the Washington Post, the Caps and Ovechkin’s IMG representatives are trying to figure out how the reigning league MVP “would be able to participate in the ceremony while missing as little time from the Capitals as possible and minimizing the wear and tear on him from excessive travel.”
Earlier Monday, President of the Sochi 2014 Organizing Committee Dmitry Chernyshenko, told Russian news outlet R-Sport that Ovechkin’s torch relay participation was guaranteed.
Update: According to the Post, Caps head coach Adam Oates said Ovechkin was invited to be the first Russian to hold the Olympic torch after it’s lit.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)