Sep 9, 2013, 3:59 PM EST
On Monday, the Washington Capitals confirmed that captain Alex Ovechkin‘s been asked to participate in the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympic torch relay, but said Ovechkin wouldn’t miss any NHL games doing so.
The relay — set to begin with the ceremonial lighting in Olympia, Greece, on Sept. 29 — will run from Oct. 7 to Feb. 7, a 123-day event that will mark the longest-ever torch relay in history.
According to the Washington Post, the Caps and Ovechkin’s IMG representatives are trying to figure out how the reigning league MVP “would be able to participate in the ceremony while missing as little time from the Capitals as possible and minimizing the wear and tear on him from excessive travel.”
Earlier Monday, President of the Sochi 2014 Organizing Committee Dmitry Chernyshenko, told Russian news outlet R-Sport that Ovechkin’s torch relay participation was guaranteed.
Update: According to the Post, Caps head coach Adam Oates said Ovechkin was invited to be the first Russian to hold the Olympic torch after it’s lit.
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 62
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 11
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 87
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (87)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (80)