Sep 9, 2013, 10:40 AM EDT
Another day, another veteran accepting a training camp invite.
This time, it’s forward David Steckel — the 31-year-old journeyman will be reporting to Minnesota Wild camp on a professional try out, according to the Minnesota Star-Tribune.
Steckel split last season between Toronto and Anaheim and had a nice run with the Ducks, scoring six points in 21 games while averaging 10:37 TOI per game.
The 6-foot-6, 215-pound faceoff specialist also appeared in all seven of Anaheim’s seven playoff games, scoring two points while averaging just under 10 minutes per night.
Steckel’s best NHL season came in 2008-09 — in Washington, under current Ducks head coach Bruce Boudreau — when he posted a career-high 19 points and led the Capitals in faceoff winning percentage (57.9).
He also appeared in 14 playoff games for the Caps that year, scoring 3G-2A-5PTS while averaging over 16 minutes a game.
According to the Star-Tribune’s Mike Russo, Steckel will be in a battle for third/fourth line center minutes with Kyle Brodziak, Zenon Konopka and Jake Dowell, though there will be a trickle-down effect once the No. 2 position has been sorted out (right now the candidates there are Charlie Coyle, Mikael Granlund and Erik Haula.)
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)