Sep 9, 2013, 10:40 AM EST
Another day, another veteran accepting a training camp invite.
This time, it’s forward David Steckel — the 31-year-old journeyman will be reporting to Minnesota Wild camp on a professional try out, according to the Minnesota Star-Tribune.
Steckel split last season between Toronto and Anaheim and had a nice run with the Ducks, scoring six points in 21 games while averaging 10:37 TOI per game.
The 6-foot-6, 215-pound faceoff specialist also appeared in all seven of Anaheim’s seven playoff games, scoring two points while averaging just under 10 minutes per night.
Steckel’s best NHL season came in 2008-09 — in Washington, under current Ducks head coach Bruce Boudreau — when he posted a career-high 19 points and led the Capitals in faceoff winning percentage (57.9).
He also appeared in 14 playoff games for the Caps that year, scoring 3G-2A-5PTS while averaging over 16 minutes a game.
According to the Star-Tribune’s Mike Russo, Steckel will be in a battle for third/fourth line center minutes with Kyle Brodziak, Zenon Konopka and Jake Dowell, though there will be a trickle-down effect once the No. 2 position has been sorted out (right now the candidates there are Charlie Coyle, Mikael Granlund and Erik Haula.)
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 25
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)