Sep 9, 2013, 10:40 AM EDT
Another day, another veteran accepting a training camp invite.
This time, it’s forward David Steckel — the 31-year-old journeyman will be reporting to Minnesota Wild camp on a professional try out, according to the Minnesota Star-Tribune.
Steckel split last season between Toronto and Anaheim and had a nice run with the Ducks, scoring six points in 21 games while averaging 10:37 TOI per game.
The 6-foot-6, 215-pound faceoff specialist also appeared in all seven of Anaheim’s seven playoff games, scoring two points while averaging just under 10 minutes per night.
Steckel’s best NHL season came in 2008-09 — in Washington, under current Ducks head coach Bruce Boudreau — when he posted a career-high 19 points and led the Capitals in faceoff winning percentage (57.9).
He also appeared in 14 playoff games for the Caps that year, scoring 3G-2A-5PTS while averaging over 16 minutes a game.
According to the Star-Tribune’s Mike Russo, Steckel will be in a battle for third/fourth line center minutes with Kyle Brodziak, Zenon Konopka and Jake Dowell, though there will be a trickle-down effect once the No. 2 position has been sorted out (right now the candidates there are Charlie Coyle, Mikael Granlund and Erik Haula.)
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 1
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 4
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 26
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 41
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)