Sep 9, 2013, 10:40 AM EDT
Another day, another veteran accepting a training camp invite.
This time, it’s forward David Steckel — the 31-year-old journeyman will be reporting to Minnesota Wild camp on a professional try out, according to the Minnesota Star-Tribune.
Steckel split last season between Toronto and Anaheim and had a nice run with the Ducks, scoring six points in 21 games while averaging 10:37 TOI per game.
The 6-foot-6, 215-pound faceoff specialist also appeared in all seven of Anaheim’s seven playoff games, scoring two points while averaging just under 10 minutes per night.
Steckel’s best NHL season came in 2008-09 — in Washington, under current Ducks head coach Bruce Boudreau — when he posted a career-high 19 points and led the Capitals in faceoff winning percentage (57.9).
He also appeared in 14 playoff games for the Caps that year, scoring 3G-2A-5PTS while averaging over 16 minutes a game.
According to the Star-Tribune’s Mike Russo, Steckel will be in a battle for third/fourth line center minutes with Kyle Brodziak, Zenon Konopka and Jake Dowell, though there will be a trickle-down effect once the No. 2 position has been sorted out (right now the candidates there are Charlie Coyle, Mikael Granlund and Erik Haula.)
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 11
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 10
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)