Sep 9, 2013, 10:40 AM EST
Another day, another veteran accepting a training camp invite.
This time, it’s forward David Steckel — the 31-year-old journeyman will be reporting to Minnesota Wild camp on a professional try out, according to the Minnesota Star-Tribune.
Steckel split last season between Toronto and Anaheim and had a nice run with the Ducks, scoring six points in 21 games while averaging 10:37 TOI per game.
The 6-foot-6, 215-pound faceoff specialist also appeared in all seven of Anaheim’s seven playoff games, scoring two points while averaging just under 10 minutes per night.
Steckel’s best NHL season came in 2008-09 — in Washington, under current Ducks head coach Bruce Boudreau — when he posted a career-high 19 points and led the Capitals in faceoff winning percentage (57.9).
He also appeared in 14 playoff games for the Caps that year, scoring 3G-2A-5PTS while averaging over 16 minutes a game.
According to the Star-Tribune’s Mike Russo, Steckel will be in a battle for third/fourth line center minutes with Kyle Brodziak, Zenon Konopka and Jake Dowell, though there will be a trickle-down effect once the No. 2 position has been sorted out (right now the candidates there are Charlie Coyle, Mikael Granlund and Erik Haula.)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 152
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 119
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (181)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (152)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (119)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)