Sep 9, 2013, 9:52 PM EDT
Injury-riddled Detroit Red Wings forward Darren Helm faces a (sort of) good news/bad news situation regarding his banged-up body.
On the bright side, the Detroit Free Press’ Helene St. James reports that the back issues that limited to one game in 2013 seem mostly cleared up. Unfortunately, the latest ailment is a groin injury, which an MRI revealed to be just a small strain.
Having these issues pile up understandably frustrates the hard-working center.
“It is almost kind of comical the way these things keep happening,” Helm said on Monday. “I came off, I wasn’t too happy. But it wasn’t my back, so I’m not too upset about it. I don’t think this is going to be too long.”
Helm suffered his latest injury while skating on Friday, according to St. James.
The Free Press report indicates that it might be safe to expect Helm to be doubtful for the Red Wings’ first preseason games, considering the unpredictable way groin injuries can linger.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 5
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 33
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)