Sep 9, 2013, 9:52 PM EST
Injury-riddled Detroit Red Wings forward Darren Helm faces a (sort of) good news/bad news situation regarding his banged-up body.
On the bright side, the Detroit Free Press’ Helene St. James reports that the back issues that limited to one game in 2013 seem mostly cleared up. Unfortunately, the latest ailment is a groin injury, which an MRI revealed to be just a small strain.
Having these issues pile up understandably frustrates the hard-working center.
“It is almost kind of comical the way these things keep happening,” Helm said on Monday. “I came off, I wasn’t too happy. But it wasn’t my back, so I’m not too upset about it. I don’t think this is going to be too long.”
Helm suffered his latest injury while skating on Friday, according to St. James.
The Free Press report indicates that it might be safe to expect Helm to be doubtful for the Red Wings’ first preseason games, considering the unpredictable way groin injuries can linger.
- Byfuglien out 2-4 weeks with upper-body injury; Little hurt, too 9
- Bettman concedes there are ‘some members of the NHL family who would like to see fewer shootouts’ 40
- Season over: Avs lose MacKinnon to broken foot 19
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 18
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 35
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 15
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 21
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32