Sep 9, 2013, 8:58 AM EDT
On Sunday, Jason Karmanos was fired from his post as assistant general manager on the team his father Peter Karmanos Jr. owns, the Carolina Hurricanes. Jason had been with the club for 15 years.
The elder Karmanos referred to the situation as a “family matter” and declined to comment further at this time. However, his son was willing to share some of his thoughts with the News & Observer.
“The disagreement I had with my father had nothing to do with the direction of the team or the business of the team,” Jason Karmanos said. “This has nothing to do with my job performance.
“It’s an unfortunate situation and it’s extremely disappointing. My emotions are still raw.”
Jason Karmanos also specified that the firing wasn’t influenced by any legal issues. With him gone, Vice President of Hockey Operations Ron Francis and Video Scout/Hockey Operations Darren Yorke will absorb the former assistant general manager’s responsibilities.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 5
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 23
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)