Sep 9, 2013, 8:58 AM EDT
On Sunday, Jason Karmanos was fired from his post as assistant general manager on the team his father Peter Karmanos Jr. owns, the Carolina Hurricanes. Jason had been with the club for 15 years.
The elder Karmanos referred to the situation as a “family matter” and declined to comment further at this time. However, his son was willing to share some of his thoughts with the News & Observer.
“The disagreement I had with my father had nothing to do with the direction of the team or the business of the team,” Jason Karmanos said. “This has nothing to do with my job performance.
“It’s an unfortunate situation and it’s extremely disappointing. My emotions are still raw.”
Jason Karmanos also specified that the firing wasn’t influenced by any legal issues. With him gone, Vice President of Hockey Operations Ron Francis and Video Scout/Hockey Operations Darren Yorke will absorb the former assistant general manager’s responsibilities.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 71
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 54
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 34
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)