Evander Kane has ‘come leaps and bounds’ for Jets coach

Sep 9, 2013, 11:30 AM EST

Comments Off
Evander Kane Getty Images

In the wake of yet another Evander Kane story that didn’t involve the actual playing of hockey (this one involved unpaid traffic tickets), Jets coach Claude Noel had a lot of good things to say about his young, star player this weekend.

“I think Evander Kane has come leaps and bounds for me in a lot of ways,” Noel said, per the Winnipeg Free Press. “The focus is always on a lot of things in the off-season, anything to write about. I don’t have any concerns with him. I see a huge change in him.

“I saw it last year. I’ve seen it through the summer. I’ve seen it both on and off the ice and I’ve really liked what I’ve seen. He’s very focused. I think he’s matured. This is part of the process. The problem is we’re under a microscope and that’s a little bit of an adjustment for a young player, a young man. I like a lot of what I’ve seen and I’m very excited to have him play this year. I think he’s got a lot to play for and I certainly know one thing, he wants to have success.”

Kane, 22, finished third in Jets scoring last year, with 17 goals and 16 assists in 48 games. In June, he had surgery on his left foot to remove pressure from a nerve,

Noel would certainly like to be right about Kane’s hunger for success. The Jets spent a lot of money this summer. Missing the playoffs again may not be an option if the coach wants to keep his job.

Related: Jets’ Kane apologizes for tweeting homophobic slur

Latest Posts
  1. After 21-game absence, Fisher (ruptured Achilles) back for Preds

Nov 27, 2014, 12:02 PM EST

Mike Fisher Getty Images

Big boost for Nashville, who hosts Edmonton tonight.

2. With Luongo hurt, Panthers recall Ellis

Nov 27, 2014, 11:18 AM EST

Roberto Luongo Roberto Luongo

Florida’s No. 1 left Wednesday’s game early.

3. Flames won’t put timetable on Backlund (abdominal surgery) return

Nov 27, 2014, 11:10 AM EST

Mikael Backlund Getty Images

Center had a career-high 18 goals and 39 points last year.

4. PHT shares #WhyImThankful

Nov 27, 2014, 10:59 AM EST

Jaromir Jagr Sightings In Prague Getty Images

Not listed: glorious gluttony.

5. Flyers’ latest loss prompted players-only meeting

Nov 27, 2014, 9:58 AM EST

Braydon Coburn, Steve Mason AP

“It’s pretty easy to see things slipping away,” Steve Mason said.

6. NHL will hold hearing with Adam Lowry for boarding Patrick Kaleta

Nov 27, 2014, 9:26 AM EST

Pittsburgh Penguins v Winnipeg Jets Getty Images

The hit generated a five-minute major and game misconduct.

7. Lightning spoil St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay

Nov 27, 2014, 1:45 AM EST

Martin St. Louis Martin St. Louis

Callahan and Stamkos lead the way in win over Rangers.

8. Datsyuk scores twice to lead Wings over Flyers

Nov 26, 2014, 11:55 PM EST

Pavel Datsyuk Pavel Datsyuk

Returned after missing four games due to injury.

9. Comeau and Crosby lead Pens over Leafs

Nov 26, 2014, 11:05 PM EST

Blake Comeau, Sidney Crosby Blake Comeau, Sidney Crosby

The Pittsburgh captain reaches point No. 800 in the win.

10. Video: Bob McKenzie discusses Alec Martinez contract talks

Nov 26, 2014, 9:45 PM EST

Alec Martinez Getty Images

Also touches on Martin St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay.

11. Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated)

Nov 26, 2014, 9:08 PM EST

Roberto Luongo Getty Images

Appeared to hurt his left shoulder. Team calling it an upper body injury.

12. Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind

Nov 26, 2014, 8:42 PM EST

Patrick Kaleta Getty Images

The Winnipeg forward was tossed from the game.

13. Video: Wings’ Weiss continues to roll

Nov 26, 2014, 8:35 PM EST

Detroit Red Wings v Florida Panthers Getty Images

Has the game’s opening goal tonight.

14. Video: Nash with a high hit on Palat

Nov 26, 2014, 8:20 PM EST

Rick Nash Getty Images

Gets a double-minor on the play.

Eakins on his way out of Edmonton?

Top 10 NHL Player Searches