Evander Kane has ‘come leaps and bounds’ for Jets coach

Sep 9, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT

Comments Off on Evander Kane has ‘come leaps and bounds’ for Jets coach
Evander Kane Getty Images

In the wake of yet another Evander Kane story that didn’t involve the actual playing of hockey (this one involved unpaid traffic tickets), Jets coach Claude Noel had a lot of good things to say about his young, star player this weekend.

“I think Evander Kane has come leaps and bounds for me in a lot of ways,” Noel said, per the Winnipeg Free Press. “The focus is always on a lot of things in the off-season, anything to write about. I don’t have any concerns with him. I see a huge change in him.

“I saw it last year. I’ve seen it through the summer. I’ve seen it both on and off the ice and I’ve really liked what I’ve seen. He’s very focused. I think he’s matured. This is part of the process. The problem is we’re under a microscope and that’s a little bit of an adjustment for a young player, a young man. I like a lot of what I’ve seen and I’m very excited to have him play this year. I think he’s got a lot to play for and I certainly know one thing, he wants to have success.”

Kane, 22, finished third in Jets scoring last year, with 17 goals and 16 assists in 48 games. In June, he had surgery on his left foot to remove pressure from a nerve,

Noel would certainly like to be right about Kane’s hunger for success. The Jets spent a lot of money this summer. Missing the playoffs again may not be an option if the coach wants to keep his job.

Related: Jets’ Kane apologizes for tweeting homophobic slur

Latest Posts
  1. Devils’ Zacha to skip Czech’s world junior evaluation camp

Aug 1, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT

2015 NHL Draft - Round One 2015 NHL Draft - Round One

New Jersey is still working on getting the 18-year-old signed to an entry-level contract.

2. Flyers’ Hakstol flew 4,000 miles to have dinner with Voracek

Aug 1, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT

Dave Hakstol Dave Hakstol

The two met in the Czech Republic to get to know one another.

3. Nill believes Stars have ‘two No. 1 goalies’

Aug 1, 2015, 3:15 PM EDT

Jim Nill AP

Lehtonen and Niemi will account for $10.4 million in cap space next season.

4. No extension on the horizon for Flyers’ Brayden Schenn

Aug 1, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT

Brayden Schenn Getty Images

He’s heading into the final year of his two-year, $5 million deal.

5. Jets partner with ECHL’s Tulsa Oilers

Aug 1, 2015, 11:15 AM EDT

ECHL_-_logo

Winnipeg was affiliated with the Ontario Reign last season.

6. Armed with new deal, Galchenyuk expects to have a ‘great year’

Aug 1, 2015, 9:45 AM EDT

gal Getty Images

He signed a two-year, bridge contract worth $5.6 million on Thursday.

7. Arbitrator awards Marcus Johansson $3.75M contract

Jul 31, 2015, 9:01 PM EDT

Marcus Johansson Getty Images

That’s close to the middle between his and Washington’s requests.

8. Maloney: RFA Domingue will play in Europe

Jul 31, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT

Louis Domingue Getty Images

The decision surprised Arizona’s general manager.

9. Siegenthaler signs entry-level contract with Caps

Jul 31, 2015, 7:01 PM EDT

Jonas Siegenthaler Getty Images

The defenseman spent the 2014-15 campaign in the Swiss League.

10. One month later, Mike Richards’ future remains murky

Jul 31, 2015, 2:46 PM EDT

Los Angeles Kings v New York Rangers Getty Images

There is a key deadline approaching though.

11. Subban working out with former Olympian Ben Johnson

Jul 31, 2015, 1:16 PM EDT

P.K. Subban Getty Images

Johnson won a gold medal in 1988, but it was taken away because of a positive steroids test.

12. Quebecor seeks partners in Quebec City bid

Jul 31, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT

Calgary Flames v Ottawa Senators Getty Images

There’s a $500 million expansion fee to consider.

13. How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos?

Jul 31, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT

Carolina Hurricanes v Philadelphia Flyers Getty Images

Because once Voracek’s eight-year contract kicks in, they’ll be part of that list.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches