Evander Kane has ‘come leaps and bounds’ for Jets coach

Sep 9, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT

Comments Off
Evander Kane Getty Images

In the wake of yet another Evander Kane story that didn’t involve the actual playing of hockey (this one involved unpaid traffic tickets), Jets coach Claude Noel had a lot of good things to say about his young, star player this weekend.

“I think Evander Kane has come leaps and bounds for me in a lot of ways,” Noel said, per the Winnipeg Free Press. “The focus is always on a lot of things in the off-season, anything to write about. I don’t have any concerns with him. I see a huge change in him.

“I saw it last year. I’ve seen it through the summer. I’ve seen it both on and off the ice and I’ve really liked what I’ve seen. He’s very focused. I think he’s matured. This is part of the process. The problem is we’re under a microscope and that’s a little bit of an adjustment for a young player, a young man. I like a lot of what I’ve seen and I’m very excited to have him play this year. I think he’s got a lot to play for and I certainly know one thing, he wants to have success.”

Kane, 22, finished third in Jets scoring last year, with 17 goals and 16 assists in 48 games. In June, he had surgery on his left foot to remove pressure from a nerve,

Noel would certainly like to be right about Kane’s hunger for success. The Jets spent a lot of money this summer. Missing the playoffs again may not be an option if the coach wants to keep his job.

Related: Jets’ Kane apologizes for tweeting homophobic slur

Latest Posts
  1. Analytics just piece of puzzle to Leafs’ Dubas

Jul 28, 2014, 10:16 PM EDT

Dubas

He was recently hired by the team to serve as an assistant general manager.

2. Bruins prospect Warsofsky aims to force his way into NHL

Jul 28, 2014, 9:09 PM EDT

David Warsofsky Getty Images

That won’t be easy given the Bruins’ current logjam.

3. ‘Hawks prospect Shalunov signs two-year KHL deal

Jul 28, 2014, 6:50 PM EDT

Maxim Shalunov AP

He attempted to make the transition to North America in 2013-14.

4. Sharks start extension talks with Braun

Jul 28, 2014, 5:42 PM EDT

Justin Braun Getty Images

The two sides are unlikely to agree to terms quickly though.

5. Blake, Robitaille highlight Kings alumni for game vs. Russian Stars

Jul 28, 2014, 4:37 PM EDT

2012 NHL Stanley Cup Final – Game Six Getty Images

Yashin and Bure are among the players that will compete against Los Angeles.

6. Leafs continue to add vets, sign Winnik to one-year, $1.3M deal

Jul 28, 2014, 2:27 PM EDT

Daniel Winnik Getty Images

Former Anaheim forward posted a career high in points last year.

7. Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal

Jul 28, 2014, 2:01 PM EDT

tomastatargetty Getty Images

With Riley Sheahan also signed, the only RFA left is Danny DeKeyser.

8. Habs ink ex-Wild forward Dowell to AHL deal

Jul 28, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT

Columbus Blue Jackets v Minnesota Wild Columbus Blue Jackets v Minnesota Wild

He’s appeared in over 150 NHL games with Chicago, Dallas and Minnesota.

9. ‘The talent was always there’ in Florida, says Luongo

Jul 28, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT

Vancouver Canucks v Florida Panthers Getty Images

Veteran goalie is high on his young teammates.

10. Flames’ Smith signs in Swiss league

Jul 28, 2014, 9:58 AM EDT

DerekSmithCalgary Getty Images

Appeared in 83 games for Calgary over the last three seasons.

11. Rangers in curious cap situation after re-signing Brassard

Jul 28, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

Glen Sather, Jim Dolan Getty Images

They’ll be dancing close to the upper limit all year.

12. PHT Morning Skate: Pens’ Payerl wants to be an NHL ‘beast’

Jul 28, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Adam Payerl Getty Images

That and the rest of the links to start your day.

13. Former NHLer Cote sentenced 30 months in jail for bank robberies

Jul 27, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT

Image (1) predatorslogo-thumb-250x155-19571.gif for post 15160

He last played in 2001 with the Edmonton Oilers.

14. Purcell wants to shoot more in Edmonton

Jul 27, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT

Teddy Purcell Getty Images

He has a few guys that can help make it happen there.

15. Sabres re-sign Adam to one-year two-way deal

Jul 27, 2014, 5:20 PM EDT

Luke Adam Getty Images

He was their final restricted free agent.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches