Evander Kane has ‘come leaps and bounds’ for Jets coach

Sep 9, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT

Comments Off on Evander Kane has ‘come leaps and bounds’ for Jets coach
Evander Kane Getty Images

In the wake of yet another Evander Kane story that didn’t involve the actual playing of hockey (this one involved unpaid traffic tickets), Jets coach Claude Noel had a lot of good things to say about his young, star player this weekend.

“I think Evander Kane has come leaps and bounds for me in a lot of ways,” Noel said, per the Winnipeg Free Press. “The focus is always on a lot of things in the off-season, anything to write about. I don’t have any concerns with him. I see a huge change in him.

“I saw it last year. I’ve seen it through the summer. I’ve seen it both on and off the ice and I’ve really liked what I’ve seen. He’s very focused. I think he’s matured. This is part of the process. The problem is we’re under a microscope and that’s a little bit of an adjustment for a young player, a young man. I like a lot of what I’ve seen and I’m very excited to have him play this year. I think he’s got a lot to play for and I certainly know one thing, he wants to have success.”

Kane, 22, finished third in Jets scoring last year, with 17 goals and 16 assists in 48 games. In June, he had surgery on his left foot to remove pressure from a nerve,

Noel would certainly like to be right about Kane’s hunger for success. The Jets spent a lot of money this summer. Missing the playoffs again may not be an option if the coach wants to keep his job.

Related: Jets’ Kane apologizes for tweeting homophobic slur

Latest Posts
  1. B’s re-sign Spooner: two years, $1.9 million

Jul 1, 2015, 4:06 PM EDT

Boston Bruins v Winnipeg Jets Getty Images

23-year-old had 18 points in 29 games last year.

2. Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million

Jul 1, 2015, 4:05 PM EDT

Mike Green Getty Images

Moves on from Washington, the team that drafted him in 2004.

3. ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’

Jul 1, 2015, 3:38 PM EDT

Phil Kessel Getty Images

Penguins GM considers his new winger in the same class as Alex Ovechkin and Steven Stamkos.

4. After Preds buyout, Stalberg signs one-year, $1.1M deal with Rangers

Jul 1, 2015, 3:19 PM EDT

Viktor Stalberg #25 of the Nashville Predators warms up prior to a game against the Winnipeg Jets at Bridgestone Arena on October 24, 2013 in Nashville, Tennessee.
(October 23, 2013 - Source: Frederick Breedon/Getty Images North America) Getty Images

29-year-old forward will look to get his career back on track.

5. Roundup: Jackman to Preds, Moore to Devils, Parenteau to Leafs

Jul 1, 2015, 3:04 PM EDT

Barret Jackman

Some smaller signings to pass your way…

6. Saad ‘a bit shocked’ by trade, but ‘looking forward’ to joining Jackets

Jul 1, 2015, 2:57 PM EDT

Brandon Saad AP

Still needs to sign a new deal, but Columbus will match any offer sheet.

7. PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker

Jul 1, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT

Mike Green Getty Images

All the signings from what promises to be a busy day.

8. KHLers Burmistrov (Jets), Tikhonov (‘Hawks) make NHL returns

Jul 1, 2015, 2:06 PM EDT

Alex Burmistrov AP

Both spent the last few seasons playing in Russia.

9. Lightning nab Condra for three years

Jul 1, 2015, 2:01 PM EDT

Marc Methot Chris Terry AP

One of the Senators’ main penalty-killers last season.

10. Canucks pick up Bartkowski

Jul 1, 2015, 1:29 PM EDT

Buffalo Sabres v Boston Bruins Getty Images

27-year-old never really panned out in Boston.

11. Coyotes stay busy, ink Downie, Michalek and Lindback

Jul 1, 2015, 1:22 PM EDT

Steve Downie Getty Images

Having already signed former Canuck Brad Richardson.

12. Avs sign ‘versatile, dependable’ Comeau to three-year, $7.2M deal

Jul 1, 2015, 1:11 PM EDT

Toronto Maple Leafs v Pittsburgh Penguins Getty Images

Nice raise after playing for $700,000 in Pittsburgh last season.

13. Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins

Jul 1, 2015, 1:08 PM EDT

150701-Phil-Kessel Getty Images

End of an era in Toronto. A premier goal-scoring winger heads to Pittsburgh.

14. Blues re-sign Lehtera: three years, $14.1 million

Jul 1, 2015, 1:07 PM EDT

Jori Lehtera Getty Images

Finnish forward coming off a strong first season in St. Louis.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches