Evander Kane has ‘come leaps and bounds’ for Jets coach

Sep 9, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT

Comments Off
Evander Kane Getty Images

In the wake of yet another Evander Kane story that didn’t involve the actual playing of hockey (this one involved unpaid traffic tickets), Jets coach Claude Noel had a lot of good things to say about his young, star player this weekend.

“I think Evander Kane has come leaps and bounds for me in a lot of ways,” Noel said, per the Winnipeg Free Press. “The focus is always on a lot of things in the off-season, anything to write about. I don’t have any concerns with him. I see a huge change in him.

“I saw it last year. I’ve seen it through the summer. I’ve seen it both on and off the ice and I’ve really liked what I’ve seen. He’s very focused. I think he’s matured. This is part of the process. The problem is we’re under a microscope and that’s a little bit of an adjustment for a young player, a young man. I like a lot of what I’ve seen and I’m very excited to have him play this year. I think he’s got a lot to play for and I certainly know one thing, he wants to have success.”

Kane, 22, finished third in Jets scoring last year, with 17 goals and 16 assists in 48 games. In June, he had surgery on his left foot to remove pressure from a nerve,

Noel would certainly like to be right about Kane’s hunger for success. The Jets spent a lot of money this summer. Missing the playoffs again may not be an option if the coach wants to keep his job.

Related: Jets’ Kane apologizes for tweeting homophobic slur

Latest Posts
  1. Under Pressure: Cory Schneider

Aug 30, 2014, 3:06 PM EDT

Cory Schneider AP

Will try to guide the Devils back to the postseason after two straight seasons without playoff hockey in New Jersey.

2. Binghamton Senators unveil new jerseys

Aug 30, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT

Will wear a different look in 2014-15.

3. Ryan Smyth keeping busy as camp approaches

Aug 30, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT

ryansmythgetty Getty Images

After playing over 1,000 NHL games, he’s enjoying the time away.

4. Report: Devils sign Pelley, add depth

Aug 30, 2014, 12:38 PM EDT

Image (1) NewJerseyDevils_logo-thumb-250x243-22093.gif for post 15654

RFA David Wohlberg joins Albany

5. Devils’ Gomez considered retirement

Aug 30, 2014, 11:22 AM EDT

Scott Gomez AP

After spending portions of last season as a healthy scratch, he’s looking to revive his career in New Jersey.

6. Will Jagr finally show his age next season?

Aug 30, 2014, 10:11 AM EDT

New York Islanders v New Jersey Devils Getty Images

Father Time always wins … eventually.

7. Trotz (kinda) downplays doubts about working with Ovechkin

Aug 30, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

Washington Capitals Introduce General Manager Brian MacLellan And Coach Barry Trotz Getty Images

” … Until we go into the season and start playing real games, our relationship will be fine.”

8. It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT

Aug 30, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT

Adam Henrique, Ryane Clowe, Michael Ryder AP

Can they shoot out of mediocrity?

9. Looking to make the leap: Ryan Spooner

Aug 29, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT

Boston Bruins v San Jose Sharks Getty Images

Can he fit in well enough to embrace this opportunity?

10. Poll: How should Boston handle its cap crunch?

Aug 29, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT

marchboy Getty Images

Should they make a move or play hardball with free agents?

11. Nicklas Backstrom finally got his silver medal today

Aug 29, 2014, 6:29 PM EDT

backstromsilver

“I’m sleeping with it tonight.”

12. Report: Flames expected to try out Brookbank

Aug 29, 2014, 4:57 PM EDT

Chicago Blackhawks v Nashville Predators Getty Images

The Chicago Blackhawks let him walk.

13. Report: Moore-Bertuzzi lawsuit removed from court docket

Aug 29, 2014, 2:15 PM EDT

Bertuzzi Moore

Was schedule for Ontario Superior Court Sept. 8

14. Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15

Aug 29, 2014, 1:18 PM EDT

Patrice Bergeron AP

A pair of hilarious ads to promote the game.

15. Under Pressure: David Krejci

Aug 29, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT

David Krejci Getty Images

Heading into a contract year, lots on his shoulders.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches