Evander Kane has ‘come leaps and bounds’ for Jets coach

Sep 9, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT

Comments Off on Evander Kane has ‘come leaps and bounds’ for Jets coach
Evander Kane Getty Images

In the wake of yet another Evander Kane story that didn’t involve the actual playing of hockey (this one involved unpaid traffic tickets), Jets coach Claude Noel had a lot of good things to say about his young, star player this weekend.

“I think Evander Kane has come leaps and bounds for me in a lot of ways,” Noel said, per the Winnipeg Free Press. “The focus is always on a lot of things in the off-season, anything to write about. I don’t have any concerns with him. I see a huge change in him.

“I saw it last year. I’ve seen it through the summer. I’ve seen it both on and off the ice and I’ve really liked what I’ve seen. He’s very focused. I think he’s matured. This is part of the process. The problem is we’re under a microscope and that’s a little bit of an adjustment for a young player, a young man. I like a lot of what I’ve seen and I’m very excited to have him play this year. I think he’s got a lot to play for and I certainly know one thing, he wants to have success.”

Kane, 22, finished third in Jets scoring last year, with 17 goals and 16 assists in 48 games. In June, he had surgery on his left foot to remove pressure from a nerve,

Noel would certainly like to be right about Kane’s hunger for success. The Jets spent a lot of money this summer. Missing the playoffs again may not be an option if the coach wants to keep his job.

Related: Jets’ Kane apologizes for tweeting homophobic slur

Latest Posts
  1. Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer

Sep 4, 2015, 3:47 PM EDT

Phil Kessel AP

His critics get one fewer straw to grasp.

2. Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office

Sep 4, 2015, 2:25 PM EDT

Rich Peverley AP

He’ll reportedly work in the player development department.

3. Rangers nab Chris Drury as director of player development

Sep 4, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT

Rangers Sign Chris Drury And Scott Gomez Getty Images

GM Jeff Gorton is excited to bring him back to New York.

4. Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation

Sep 4, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT

Patrick Kane AP

Everyone that was at his Hamburg home during the night of the alleged incident, to be exacted.

5. Tyler Johnson should be ready for Lightning training camp

Sep 4, 2015, 11:47 AM EDT

Tyler Johnson AP

He’s recovering from a broken right wrist.

6. Zetterberg: Babcock leaving Detroit was best for both sides

Sep 4, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT

Stanley Cup Finals - Detroit Red Wings v Pittsburgh Penguins - Game Six Getty Images

A summer of change provides “a fresh start.”

7. Lightning’s Vasilevskiy out 2-3 months after getting blood clot removed

Sep 4, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT

Andrei Vasilevskiy AP

Less (or at least delayed) competition for Ben Bishop.

8. Dmitry Orlov (wrist) ready after missing 2014-15

Sep 3, 2015, 10:46 PM EDT

Dmitry Orlov Getty Images

He might serve on the Capitals’ third defensive pairing.

9. Coyotes sign ’15 first rounder Nick Merkley

Sep 3, 2015, 9:20 PM EDT

Nick Merkley Getty Images

He was Arizona’s second pick of the draft after Dylan Strome.

10. Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement

Sep 3, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT

Slava Voynov AP

They took him under custody from jail and now he’s awaiting a hearing with an immigration judge.

11. Calgary presents Ryan Wilson with PTO

Sep 3, 2015, 6:25 PM EDT

Ryan Wilson Getty Images

Can he find a role with the Flames given their deep blueline?

12. Interviewer: Raanta’s rooting against Hawks quote is real, but needs context

Sep 3, 2015, 4:57 PM EDT

Antti Raanta Getty Images

“Antti was frustrated after Chicago send him [a] second time [to the] AHL and he told me truly how he felt.”

13. Caps’ Backstrom won’t rush return from hip surgery

Sep 3, 2015, 3:25 PM EDT

Nicklas Backstrom Getty Images

His availability for the season opener is in doubt.

14. Seidenberg says trade rumors were ‘a slap in the face’

Sep 3, 2015, 2:03 PM EDT

Boston Bruins v Colorado Avalanche Getty Images

Bruins d-man is using them as motivation for a bounce-back campaign.

15. Wild hire ex-Oilers goalie coach Chabot

Sep 3, 2015, 11:42 AM EDT

Edmonton Oilers Headshots Getty Images

Where he worked with — wait for it — current Minnesota starter Devan Dubnyk.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches