Evander Kane has ‘come leaps and bounds’ for Jets coach

Sep 9, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT

Comments Off
Evander Kane Getty Images

In the wake of yet another Evander Kane story that didn’t involve the actual playing of hockey (this one involved unpaid traffic tickets), Jets coach Claude Noel had a lot of good things to say about his young, star player this weekend.

“I think Evander Kane has come leaps and bounds for me in a lot of ways,” Noel said, per the Winnipeg Free Press. “The focus is always on a lot of things in the off-season, anything to write about. I don’t have any concerns with him. I see a huge change in him.

“I saw it last year. I’ve seen it through the summer. I’ve seen it both on and off the ice and I’ve really liked what I’ve seen. He’s very focused. I think he’s matured. This is part of the process. The problem is we’re under a microscope and that’s a little bit of an adjustment for a young player, a young man. I like a lot of what I’ve seen and I’m very excited to have him play this year. I think he’s got a lot to play for and I certainly know one thing, he wants to have success.”

Kane, 22, finished third in Jets scoring last year, with 17 goals and 16 assists in 48 games. In June, he had surgery on his left foot to remove pressure from a nerve,

Noel would certainly like to be right about Kane’s hunger for success. The Jets spent a lot of money this summer. Missing the playoffs again may not be an option if the coach wants to keep his job.

Related: Jets’ Kane apologizes for tweeting homophobic slur

Latest Posts
  1. Ottawa tragedy ‘hit home’ for Bruins’ Julien

Oct 25, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT

Claude Julien AP

The coach was quick to call home following Wednesday’s practice.

2. Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers

Oct 25, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT

Carey Price AP

The Habs’ starter was injured in Game 1 of last spring’s Eastern Conference final against New York.

3. Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier

Oct 25, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT

Colorado Avalanche v Ottawa Senators Getty Images

Anthems will be played from Ottawa to the buildings in Montreal and Toronto.

4. Sharks look to bump slump against struggling Sabres

Oct 25, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT

Todd McLellan AP

San Jose hosts Buffalo in a Saturday matinee

5. Ruff: ‘Tonight was by far the best game we have played’

Oct 25, 2014, 9:45 AM EDT

Lindy Ruff AP

Stars overcome controversial goal call for win in New Jersey.

6. Columbus’ Cam Atkinson avoids damage to eye after skate bloodies his face

Oct 25, 2014, 12:50 AM EDT

atkinson

“I can see, thank God, I can see,” he reportedly said.

7. Report: Lawyer for Voynov’s wife says her take on incident isn’t ‘radically different’

Oct 25, 2014, 12:50 AM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpte3nju0ywnmnjbkytrlmwjlmtu4mgixnzhhmdlhzme5 AP

She reportedly hasn’t spoken to police since being released from the hospital.

8. More like it? Avs crush Canucks

Oct 25, 2014, 12:00 AM EDT

Florida Panthers v Colorado Avalanche Getty Images

Semyon Varlamov’s first win of 2014-15 and Colorado’s first home victory.

9. Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene

Oct 24, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT

Sabers Ducks Hockey AP

Actually, Taylor Hall probably deserves the most credit for Edmonton’s highlight goal.

10. Fights: Salvador brawls with Roussel, Gudas and Byfuglien grapple

Oct 24, 2014, 11:12 PM EDT

New Jersey Devils v Tampa Bay Lightning Getty Images

Somehow the latter fight didn’t leave a crater in the ice.

11. Oh, shoot: Devils drop 18th shootout in a row

Oct 24, 2014, 10:44 PM EDT

New York Islanders v New Jersey Devils Getty Images

The Dallas Stars get the extra point.

12. Lightning lose Brown, Connolly for the night

Oct 24, 2014, 10:29 PM EDT

Tampa Bay Lightning v Calgary Flames Getty Images

Injuries continue to … strike Tampa Bay.

13. Ondrej chases Ondrej: Jets’ Pavelec gets the hook

Oct 24, 2014, 10:13 PM EDT

Winnipeg Jets' goalie Ondrej Pavelec, of Czech Republic, stands in front of his goal before playing an NHL hockey game against the Vancouver Canucks in Vancouver, British Columbia on Sunday, Dec. 22, 2013. (AP Photo/The Canadian Press, Darryl Dyck) AP

Update: Vladislav Namestnikov was credited with the last goal.

14. Report: Hamonic might miss Isles’ Saturday game

Oct 24, 2014, 9:59 PM EDT

New York Islanders v New York Rangers Getty Images

On the bright side, Michael Grabner may resume skating soon.

15. Video: Drouin scores first NHL goal, shows early chemistry with Stamkos

Oct 24, 2014, 9:19 PM EDT

J.T. Brown, Steven Stamkos, Jonathan Drouin AP

Unfortunately, Tampa Bay might face another injury in J.T. Brown.

16. Columbus activates Milano from IR, gets McElhinney back

Oct 24, 2014, 8:13 PM EDT

Sonny Milano Getty Images

They send their 2014 first-rounder to the OHL.

17. Struggling Sharks bump Pavelski down to third line

Oct 24, 2014, 7:45 PM EDT

San Jose Sharks v New York Rangers Getty Images

San Jose’s enjoyed such center depth before.

Caps' 'culture change' proving positive