Evander Kane has ‘come leaps and bounds’ for Jets coach

Sep 9, 2013, 11:30 AM EST

Comments Off
Evander Kane Getty Images

In the wake of yet another Evander Kane story that didn’t involve the actual playing of hockey (this one involved unpaid traffic tickets), Jets coach Claude Noel had a lot of good things to say about his young, star player this weekend.

“I think Evander Kane has come leaps and bounds for me in a lot of ways,” Noel said, per the Winnipeg Free Press. “The focus is always on a lot of things in the off-season, anything to write about. I don’t have any concerns with him. I see a huge change in him.

“I saw it last year. I’ve seen it through the summer. I’ve seen it both on and off the ice and I’ve really liked what I’ve seen. He’s very focused. I think he’s matured. This is part of the process. The problem is we’re under a microscope and that’s a little bit of an adjustment for a young player, a young man. I like a lot of what I’ve seen and I’m very excited to have him play this year. I think he’s got a lot to play for and I certainly know one thing, he wants to have success.”

Kane, 22, finished third in Jets scoring last year, with 17 goals and 16 assists in 48 games. In June, he had surgery on his left foot to remove pressure from a nerve,

Noel would certainly like to be right about Kane’s hunger for success. The Jets spent a lot of money this summer. Missing the playoffs again may not be an option if the coach wants to keep his job.

Related: Jets’ Kane apologizes for tweeting homophobic slur

Latest Posts
  1. Goalie nods: Ducks give another start to Gibson

Mar 1, 2015, 3:38 PM EST

John Gibson AP

Sunday’s expected starting goalies.

2. Anders Lee named rookie of the month

Mar 1, 2015, 2:22 PM EST

Zdeno Chara, Anders Lee AP

The Islanders winger was February’s best first-year player.

3. Jets activate Wheeler from injured reserve

Mar 1, 2015, 12:55 PM EST

Winnipeg Jets v Calgary Flames Getty Images

Winnipeg faces Los Angeles on Sunday.

4. Leafs claim Erixon, Ducks waive Bourque

Mar 1, 2015, 12:21 PM EST

Chicago Blackhawks v Colorado Avalanche Getty Images

A quick rundown of waiver transactions on Sunday.

5. NHL on NBCSN: Ducks take on fading Stars

Mar 1, 2015, 11:33 AM EST

Anaheim Ducks v Dallas Stars Getty Images

Anaheim readies for a road-heavy March.

6. Hurricanes sign McClement to two-year, $2.4M extension

Mar 1, 2015, 10:17 AM EST

Carolina Hurricanes v Minnesota Wild Getty Images

Three of his season’s six goals came in the last three games.

7. Report: Bruins balked at asking price for Vermette

Mar 1, 2015, 9:35 AM EST

Detroit Red Wings v Arizona Coyotes Getty Images

The first-round pick was a little too rich, it seems.

8. Sharks slip late in potential microcosm of season

Mar 1, 2015, 1:03 AM EST

Ottawa Senators v San Jose Sharks Getty Images

San Jose completed its disastrous month with a loss to Ottawa.

9. Sakic hopes to re-sign O’Reilly over the summer

Mar 1, 2015, 12:42 AM EST

Ryan O'Reilly Getty Images

In other words, he’s probably not going to be dealt before the trade deadline.

10. Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers

Feb 28, 2015, 11:11 PM EST

Steve Mason Getty Images

Steve Mason was solid in his first start since undergoing knee surgery.

11. Price shuts out Leafs to match Canadiens record

Feb 28, 2015, 10:41 PM EST

Carey Price AP

He’s continuing to make his case for the art Trophy.

12. Video: Hard-fought Flyers lead neutralized in just 24 seconds

Feb 28, 2015, 9:24 PM EST

New York Rangers v Philadelphia Flyers Getty Images

Stakes are high for Philadelphia after Boston and Florida won.

13. Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut

Feb 28, 2015, 8:50 PM EST

Jaromir Jagr AP

His leadership and the confidence that he brings might provide Florida with a big boost.

14. Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss

Feb 28, 2015, 8:24 PM EST

Zdeno Chara, Milan Lucic AP

Arizona is threatening to drop to 29th in the NHL, which would be big as far as the draft lottery is concerned.

Trade deadline storylines to watch
Top 10 NHL Player Searches