Sep 9, 2013, 11:30 AM EST
In the wake of yet another Evander Kane story that didn’t involve the actual playing of hockey (this one involved unpaid traffic tickets), Jets coach Claude Noel had a lot of good things to say about his young, star player this weekend.
“I think Evander Kane has come leaps and bounds for me in a lot of ways,” Noel said, per the Winnipeg Free Press. “The focus is always on a lot of things in the off-season, anything to write about. I don’t have any concerns with him. I see a huge change in him.
“I saw it last year. I’ve seen it through the summer. I’ve seen it both on and off the ice and I’ve really liked what I’ve seen. He’s very focused. I think he’s matured. This is part of the process. The problem is we’re under a microscope and that’s a little bit of an adjustment for a young player, a young man. I like a lot of what I’ve seen and I’m very excited to have him play this year. I think he’s got a lot to play for and I certainly know one thing, he wants to have success.”
Kane, 22, finished third in Jets scoring last year, with 17 goals and 16 assists in 48 games. In June, he had surgery on his left foot to remove pressure from a nerve,
Noel would certainly like to be right about Kane’s hunger for success. The Jets spent a lot of money this summer. Missing the playoffs again may not be an option if the coach wants to keep his job.
Mar 8, 2014, 3:49 PM EST
He had a 0.96 GAA and .954 save percentage in the Olympics.
Mar 8, 2014, 3:21 PM EST
He suffered the injury last Saturday.
Mar 8, 2014, 2:42 PM EST
He might not be ready for the start of the playoffs either, should Columbus get that far.
Mar 8, 2014, 1:58 PM EST
Guess who holds that record?
Mar 8, 2014, 1:16 PM EST
The Capitals drafted him in 2010, but he’s been playing in the KHL.
Mar 8, 2014, 12:58 PM EST
It will be his first start with Washington.
Mar 8, 2014, 12:15 PM EST
They were key players in Finland’s bronze medal run in the 2014 Winter Olympics.
Mar 8, 2014, 11:32 AM EST
The Lightning are trying to get out of a rut just days after trading Martin St. Louis.
Mar 8, 2014, 10:40 AM EST
He’s open to continuing his career as a backup goaltender.
Mar 8, 2014, 9:51 AM EST
Ottawa has been underwhelming this season.
Mar 8, 2014, 9:03 AM EST
He hasn’t taken a penalty yet this season.
Mar 8, 2014, 2:05 AM EST
Marc-Andre Fleury was busy in this one.
Mar 8, 2014, 1:11 AM EST
On a special night for one of the franchise’s greats.
Mar 8, 2014, 12:24 AM EST
This is just…sick. But awesome, too.
Mar 8, 2014, 12:05 AM EST
Played nine seasons in Calgary.
Mar 7, 2014, 11:19 PM EST
Last shift came late in first period.
Mar 7, 2014, 11:03 PM EST
Goals, goals and more goals in this one.
Mar 7, 2014, 10:28 PM EST
His first NHL start since Feb. 8.
Mar 7, 2014, 10:02 PM EST
Remember that blockbuster trade the other day?
Mar 7, 2014, 9:27 PM EST
Just keeps on going.
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 0
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 22
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 27
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 63
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)