Evander Kane has ‘come leaps and bounds’ for Jets coach

Sep 9, 2013, 11:30 AM EDT

Comments Off
Evander Kane Getty Images

In the wake of yet another Evander Kane story that didn’t involve the actual playing of hockey (this one involved unpaid traffic tickets), Jets coach Claude Noel had a lot of good things to say about his young, star player this weekend.

“I think Evander Kane has come leaps and bounds for me in a lot of ways,” Noel said, per the Winnipeg Free Press. “The focus is always on a lot of things in the off-season, anything to write about. I don’t have any concerns with him. I see a huge change in him.

“I saw it last year. I’ve seen it through the summer. I’ve seen it both on and off the ice and I’ve really liked what I’ve seen. He’s very focused. I think he’s matured. This is part of the process. The problem is we’re under a microscope and that’s a little bit of an adjustment for a young player, a young man. I like a lot of what I’ve seen and I’m very excited to have him play this year. I think he’s got a lot to play for and I certainly know one thing, he wants to have success.”

Kane, 22, finished third in Jets scoring last year, with 17 goals and 16 assists in 48 games. In June, he had surgery on his left foot to remove pressure from a nerve,

Noel would certainly like to be right about Kane’s hunger for success. The Jets spent a lot of money this summer. Missing the playoffs again may not be an option if the coach wants to keep his job.

Related: Jets’ Kane apologizes for tweeting homophobic slur

Latest Posts
  1. Boedker, Coyotes to shelve contract talks if no deal by opening night

Oct 1, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT

Mikkel Boedker Getty Images

Pending RFA forward’s deal is up at the end of the season.

2. Risk Factors: Dallas Stars edition

Oct 1, 2014, 11:07 AM EDT

Dallas Stars v Phoenix Coyotes Getty Images

Alex Goligoski is the team’s No. 1 d-man. And that’s a concern.

3. Predators, Taylor Beck agree to one-year contract

Oct 1, 2014, 9:03 AM EDT

Taylor Beck Getty Images

He was a restricted free agent, but was still taking part in training camp.

4. Risk Factors: Buffalo Sabres edition

Oct 1, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

Toronto Maple Leafs v Buffalo Sabres Getty Images

No, this post doesn’t just include the word “everything.”

5. Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’

Oct 1, 2014, 12:00 AM EDT

Dallas Stars v Pittsburgh Penguins Getty Images

Apparently they won’t hand him Cody Eakin’s two-year, $3.8 million deal.

6. Video: Flames’ Gaudreau scored another nice one

Sep 30, 2014, 11:31 PM EDT

Calgary Flames v Vancouver Canucks Getty Images

Here are some assorted goals for entertainment purposes.

7. Report: Marc Staal wants at least $6M per year from Rangers

Sep 30, 2014, 10:23 PM EDT

2014 NHL Stanley Cup Final - Game Four Getty Images

He’s reportedly asking for a hefty six or seven-year deal.

8. NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton

Sep 30, 2014, 9:25 PM EDT

tkachevvlad Getty Images

Updated with GM Craig MacTavish’s comments.

9. Sabres expect Kaleta to miss about one month

Sep 30, 2014, 9:10 PM EDT

Toronto Maple Leafs V Buffalo Sabres Getty Images

Buffalo was fearing a broken jaw, which would be even worse.

10. NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale

Sep 30, 2014, 7:27 PM EDT

New Jersey Devils v New York Islanders Getty Images

It looks like the transition from Charles Wang’s ownership will ramp up soon.

11. Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’

Sep 30, 2014, 7:13 PM EDT

Columbus Blue Jackets  v Pittsburgh Penguins - Game Two Getty Images

What a difference injuries and a nearing regular season makes …

12. Drouin’s goal is to return for Lightning opener

Sep 30, 2014, 6:40 PM EDT

Lightning Camp Hockey AP

He says the “progress has been really good.”

13. Risk Factors: Toronto Maple Leafs edition

Sep 30, 2014, 5:28 PM EDT

Randy Carlyle Getty Images

Will this be another season to forget for Toronto?

14. Babcock was raving about Smith’s performance versus Leafs

Sep 30, 2014, 4:26 PM EDT

Brendan Smith AP

Called him “the best defenseman on the ice.”

15. Caps still haven’t identified their 2C

Sep 30, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT

Brooks Laich Getty Images

“We’ve got three games left here, so we really need to finalize what we’re going to do.”

Top 10 NHL Player Searches