Sep 9, 2013, 4:46 PM EDT
From the Associated Press:
A Washington appeals court says tentative plans for a new professional basketball and hockey arena in Seattle do not violate state environmental law.
Investor Chris Hansen has been trying to build a $490 million arena to draw the NBA and NHL to Seattle. The International Longshore and Warehouse Union sued, saying traffic congestion from basketball and hockey games would kill jobs because it would interfere with container shipping and related businesses nearby.
The longshoremen said a memorandum of understanding between Hansen and city and county officials violated the State Environmental Protection Act by creating irreversible momentum for building the arena, even before environmental studies were performed.
Per King5.com, here’s the written decision, if for some reason you’d like to read it.
Of course, Seattle still doesn’t have an NBA or NHL team to play at the planned arena. As the decision notes: “The memorandum does not predetermine where an arena will be built or even that an arena will be built at all.”
While Hansen (who tried and failed to relocate the NBA’s Sacramento Kings to Seattle) isn’t interested in owning a hockey team in Seattle, others have said they are.
In July, NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly confirmed the league’s interest in one day expanding or relocating to the Pacific Northwest.
- Flyers will be ‘extremely patient’ with youngsters, but ‘want a winner as soon as possible’ 0
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 5
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 52
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 64
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 26
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 46
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 29
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (80)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)