Sep 8, 2013, 11:25 AM EDT
Many fans hold the belief that the Minnesota Wild are still the stodgy, boring dump-and-chase team Jacques Lemaire once coached.
Current Wild coach Mike Yeo is getting pretty tired of that label as he tells Michael Russo of The Star Tribune.
“I hate that people think that we’re a dump-and-chase team,” Yeo says. “It’s completely false. I count it as a turnover. If we dump the puck in and the goalie touches the puck, that’s a turnover for me.”
What does he see the Wild as instead? An aggressive and exciting one and one that’s going to force teams to turn the puck over to them. More from Russo:
“Our fans will really enjoy this. We’re going to be more aggressive off the rush. We want to be more of a puck possession team, so it’s as simple as asking, ‘Who gets the puck after you have it?’”
Possessing the puck with guys like Ryan Suter, Jonas Brodin, Zach Parise, and Mikko Koivu makes accomplishing that a lot easier. For Yeo, it might be easier to make that happen than it is to shake off the memories (nightmares?) of how ugly hockey used to look in St. Paul.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 0
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 11
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)