Sep 8, 2013, 6:08 PM EDT
Florida Panthers GM Dale Tallon announced that backup goalie Scott Clemmensen underwent minor knee surgery that will probably sideline him for about three weeks, the Miami Herald’s George Richards reports.
The Panthers were already approaching a 2013-14 season with a questionable (and dirt-cheap) goalie tandem in Clemmensen and Jacob Markstrom, yet this development made Tallon admit to Richards that depth at the position is a legitimate concern.
Michael Houser stands as Markstrom’s current backup if Clemmensen, 36, needs to extend his rehab into the regular season.
Assistant GM Mike Santos intimated that the team might look for outside help in net back in July, so perhaps this might re-energize such a search.
For those who wonder if this might open a door for Jose Theodore to return, Richards reports that the veteran wouldn’t be interested in a professional tryout, so the Panthers would probably need to hand him a full contract to draw his services.
The Panthers have a little wiggle room with Markstrom, 23, as his contract is two-way in 2013-14 before going one-way the following season.
Clemmensen has served as a No.2 in Florida for four seasons already, putting up nice numbers for a backup from 2009-10 to 2011-12 before an abysmal 2013 campaign in which he went 3-7-2 with a .874 save percentage.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)