Sep 8, 2013, 10:19 AM EDT
Toronto Maple Leafs prospect Morgan Rielly is facing a tough road ahead as he tries to crack the team’s lineup this year.
As of now there are seven defensemen with NHL contracts headed into camp and that’s before Cody Franson gets his deal (eventually?) signed to bring him back. There’s also how things would work under the salary cap to worry about as well.
As Chris Johnston of Sportsnet shares, Rielly is just worrying about what he can do and not what the Leafs’ cap situation is.
“I’d be lying if I told you that I didn’t know what Capgeek was,” Rielly said Saturday when asked whether he’s paid any attention to where he might fit on the NHL team’s depth chart. “I’ve checked.”
The cap is already a huge issue for Toronto as they try to find a way to re-sign Franson and budding star forward Nazem Kadri. If Rielly played his way onto the Leafs roster, that would present a new set of issues as his cap hit comes in at $1.74 million.
If Rielly does make the team, it’ll take a can’t-miss, instant top-four kind of effort. Not that he can’t do that, but it would seem likely he winds up back in junior hockey with Moose Jaw at some point this year.
- After prepping for three years, Franson excited to test free agency 0
- Sabres’ Kane (shoulder) ‘ahead of schedule’ with recovery 7
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 31
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 16
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 76
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 32
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 58
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 14
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (76)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (58)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)