Sep 8, 2013, 10:19 AM EST
Toronto Maple Leafs prospect Morgan Rielly is facing a tough road ahead as he tries to crack the team’s lineup this year.
As of now there are seven defensemen with NHL contracts headed into camp and that’s before Cody Franson gets his deal (eventually?) signed to bring him back. There’s also how things would work under the salary cap to worry about as well.
As Chris Johnston of Sportsnet shares, Rielly is just worrying about what he can do and not what the Leafs’ cap situation is.
“I’d be lying if I told you that I didn’t know what Capgeek was,” Rielly said Saturday when asked whether he’s paid any attention to where he might fit on the NHL team’s depth chart. “I’ve checked.”
The cap is already a huge issue for Toronto as they try to find a way to re-sign Franson and budding star forward Nazem Kadri. If Rielly played his way onto the Leafs roster, that would present a new set of issues as his cap hit comes in at $1.74 million.
If Rielly does make the team, it’ll take a can’t-miss, instant top-four kind of effort. Not that he can’t do that, but it would seem likely he winds up back in junior hockey with Moose Jaw at some point this year.
- Stomach flu makes Lightning’s Johnson a surprise scratch 0
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 5
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 8
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 11
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 6
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 27
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 33
- Video: Canadiens honor long-time captain Saku Koivu 2