Sep 8, 2013, 9:24 PM EDT
“I am grateful to be given the opportunity to play for the Toronto Maple Leafs, an original six team,” Raymond said. “I look forward to the challenge.”
It’s a deft move for a Maple Leafs front office that has been awfully busy this summer.
If nothing else, it could put more heat on holdout center Nazem Kadri (and to some extent, defenseman Cody Franson) to sign a deal that’s friendlier to the Leafs. With a little under $5 million in cap space according to Cap Geek’s numbers, Raymond could put a squeeze on Kadri’s earning potential … even at a discounted rate.
While Raymond’s skating ability conjures visions of bigger things, he hasn’t really put together the kind of offensive seasons one would hope for (aside from a 25-goal, 53-point campaign in 2009-10). Even so, you’d expect more than just a tryout offer from one of the NHL’s 30 teams.
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 35
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 44
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 52
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Panthers re-sign Kulikov: three years, $13 million 6
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him 77
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M 58
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (57)