Sep 8, 2013, 12:35 PM EST
Last season, the Detroit Red Wings looked like a team that might miss the playoffs. Considering they had done that for 21-straight seasons, that was big news.
Instead, they found their stride and made the postseason for an incredible 22nd straight year. As defenseman Niklas Kronwall tells Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press, they found their way and don’t plan on losing it again now.
“Last year was a good year for us in that it felt like we had that drive back,” Kronwall said. “I think the years before that, ever since we got into the Finals, for some reason, we didn’t seem to find it. Last year, I thought we really had that drive, and everybody just wanted more and more and more.”
Detroit put things together well enough to upset second-seeded Anaheim in seven games in the first round and pushed eventual Stanley Cup champion Chicago to seven games in the Western Conference semifinals.
Kronwall went on to say the addition of Daniel Alfredsson to the team gives them another motivation to play well for an all-time great player who’s dying to win a Stanley Cup. That’s just what teams in the Wings’ new home in the Eastern Conference didn’t want to hear.
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 20
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 44
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 40
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 11
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 15
- Nonis: I’m not firing Carlyle 14
- Steen agrees to extension with Blues — three years, $17.4 million 17
- Engelland suspended five games for ‘reckless’ Abdelkader headshot 41
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: So many bad contracts, coaches on the hot seat, the NHL in Vegas? and more! 24
- Caps’ Wilson to have hearing for Schenn hit 46
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (101)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)