Sep 8, 2013, 12:35 PM EST
Last season, the Detroit Red Wings looked like a team that might miss the playoffs. Considering they had done that for 21-straight seasons, that was big news.
Instead, they found their stride and made the postseason for an incredible 22nd straight year. As defenseman Niklas Kronwall tells Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press, they found their way and don’t plan on losing it again now.
“Last year was a good year for us in that it felt like we had that drive back,” Kronwall said. “I think the years before that, ever since we got into the Finals, for some reason, we didn’t seem to find it. Last year, I thought we really had that drive, and everybody just wanted more and more and more.”
Detroit put things together well enough to upset second-seeded Anaheim in seven games in the first round and pushed eventual Stanley Cup champion Chicago to seven games in the Western Conference semifinals.
Kronwall went on to say the addition of Daniel Alfredsson to the team gives them another motivation to play well for an all-time great player who’s dying to win a Stanley Cup. That’s just what teams in the Wings’ new home in the Eastern Conference didn’t want to hear.
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 32
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 1
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 16
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 16
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 27
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 23
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)