Sep 8, 2013, 12:35 PM EDT
Last season, the Detroit Red Wings looked like a team that might miss the playoffs. Considering they had done that for 21-straight seasons, that was big news.
Instead, they found their stride and made the postseason for an incredible 22nd straight year. As defenseman Niklas Kronwall tells Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press, they found their way and don’t plan on losing it again now.
“Last year was a good year for us in that it felt like we had that drive back,” Kronwall said. “I think the years before that, ever since we got into the Finals, for some reason, we didn’t seem to find it. Last year, I thought we really had that drive, and everybody just wanted more and more and more.”
Detroit put things together well enough to upset second-seeded Anaheim in seven games in the first round and pushed eventual Stanley Cup champion Chicago to seven games in the Western Conference semifinals.
Kronwall went on to say the addition of Daniel Alfredsson to the team gives them another motivation to play well for an all-time great player who’s dying to win a Stanley Cup. That’s just what teams in the Wings’ new home in the Eastern Conference didn’t want to hear.
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 4
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 25
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 45
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 39
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)