Sep 7, 2013, 6:58 PM EDT
Defenseman Ryan Whitney will be going to St. Louis Blues training camp on a professional tryout, as per Andy Strickland of CBS Sports Radio St. Louis.
Whitney, 30, spent the last three-and-a-half seasons with the Edmonton Oilers. He’s played for three NHL teams throughout the course of his career.
Whitney had just completed a six-year contract worth $24 million, and is an unrestricted free agent.
His search to land employment in the league has been ongoing throughout the summer, with his agent, Paul Krepelka, telling the Edmonton Journal: “It’s been a unique free-agency period. After initial signings on Day (One), the secondary phase dried up very quickly. Would guess a lot of players will be waiting for find work up and including training camp.”
In a related note, the Blues have yet to sign restricted free agent defenseman Alex Pietrangelo.
Last week, Blues general manager Doug Armstrong seemed confident a deal with Pietrangelo would get done.
“We’ve been clear on what we think of Alex as a person and as a player, that we want him here for the long term,” Armstrong said.
“We’ve made adjustments to our roster to ensure that we can keep him here.”
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)