Sep 7, 2013, 6:58 PM EDT
Defenseman Ryan Whitney will be going to St. Louis Blues training camp on a professional tryout, as per Andy Strickland of CBS Sports Radio St. Louis.
Whitney, 30, spent the last three-and-a-half seasons with the Edmonton Oilers. He’s played for three NHL teams throughout the course of his career.
Whitney had just completed a six-year contract worth $24 million, and is an unrestricted free agent.
His search to land employment in the league has been ongoing throughout the summer, with his agent, Paul Krepelka, telling the Edmonton Journal: “It’s been a unique free-agency period. After initial signings on Day (One), the secondary phase dried up very quickly. Would guess a lot of players will be waiting for find work up and including training camp.”
In a related note, the Blues have yet to sign restricted free agent defenseman Alex Pietrangelo.
Last week, Blues general manager Doug Armstrong seemed confident a deal with Pietrangelo would get done.
“We’ve been clear on what we think of Alex as a person and as a player, that we want him here for the long term,” Armstrong said.
“We’ve made adjustments to our roster to ensure that we can keep him here.”
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 2
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 42
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 17
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 48
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)