Sep 7, 2013, 6:58 PM EDT
Defenseman Ryan Whitney will be going to St. Louis Blues training camp on a professional tryout, as per Andy Strickland of CBS Sports Radio St. Louis.
Whitney, 30, spent the last three-and-a-half seasons with the Edmonton Oilers. He’s played for three NHL teams throughout the course of his career.
Whitney had just completed a six-year contract worth $24 million, and is an unrestricted free agent.
His search to land employment in the league has been ongoing throughout the summer, with his agent, Paul Krepelka, telling the Edmonton Journal: “It’s been a unique free-agency period. After initial signings on Day (One), the secondary phase dried up very quickly. Would guess a lot of players will be waiting for find work up and including training camp.”
In a related note, the Blues have yet to sign restricted free agent defenseman Alex Pietrangelo.
Last week, Blues general manager Doug Armstrong seemed confident a deal with Pietrangelo would get done.
“We’ve been clear on what we think of Alex as a person and as a player, that we want him here for the long term,” Armstrong said.
“We’ve made adjustments to our roster to ensure that we can keep him here.”
- WATCH LIVE: Washington Capitals at Pittsburgh Penguins 0
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 13
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 53
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 26
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (67)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)