Sep 7, 2013, 6:58 PM EDT
Defenseman Ryan Whitney will be going to St. Louis Blues training camp on a professional tryout, as per Andy Strickland of CBS Sports Radio St. Louis.
Whitney, 30, spent the last three-and-a-half seasons with the Edmonton Oilers. He’s played for three NHL teams throughout the course of his career.
Whitney had just completed a six-year contract worth $24 million, and is an unrestricted free agent.
His search to land employment in the league has been ongoing throughout the summer, with his agent, Paul Krepelka, telling the Edmonton Journal: “It’s been a unique free-agency period. After initial signings on Day (One), the secondary phase dried up very quickly. Would guess a lot of players will be waiting for find work up and including training camp.”
In a related note, the Blues have yet to sign restricted free agent defenseman Alex Pietrangelo.
Last week, Blues general manager Doug Armstrong seemed confident a deal with Pietrangelo would get done.
“We’ve been clear on what we think of Alex as a person and as a player, that we want him here for the long term,” Armstrong said.
“We’ve made adjustments to our roster to ensure that we can keep him here.”
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 28
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 23
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)