Sep 7, 2013, 5:55 PM EDT
Vincent Trocheck had his way in the Ontario Hockey League last season, and now he’s looking to earn a spot on the Florida Panthers.
Trocheck scored 50 goals and had 109 points in 63 regular season games split between the Saginaw Spirit and Plymouth Whalers. Could the 20-year-old center – Florida’s third-round pick, 64th overall, in the 2011 NHL Draft – be in line for steady work in the NHL when the Panthers open the regular season?
The Panthers finished the 2013 season with the worst record (15-27-6) in the league and appear positioned to give their young prospects – including almost a half-dozen recent first-round picks – a chance to make the big club.
“I’m definitely coming in here trying to make this team,” Trocheck told the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. “It’s going to be a battle.
“All they’re telling us is to come here and expect to make the team. What else can a guy in our position do, you come here, work hard to try to make the team. If you do, great, if not, you keep working until you do.”
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 0
- NHL postpones Blue Jackets-Stars game following Peverley’s collapse 9
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 11
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 6
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 20
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 27
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 37
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)