Sep 7, 2013, 5:55 PM EDT
Vincent Trocheck had his way in the Ontario Hockey League last season, and now he’s looking to earn a spot on the Florida Panthers.
Trocheck scored 50 goals and had 109 points in 63 regular season games split between the Saginaw Spirit and Plymouth Whalers. Could the 20-year-old center – Florida’s third-round pick, 64th overall, in the 2011 NHL Draft – be in line for steady work in the NHL when the Panthers open the regular season?
The Panthers finished the 2013 season with the worst record (15-27-6) in the league and appear positioned to give their young prospects – including almost a half-dozen recent first-round picks – a chance to make the big club.
“I’m definitely coming in here trying to make this team,” Trocheck told the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. “It’s going to be a battle.
“All they’re telling us is to come here and expect to make the team. What else can a guy in our position do, you come here, work hard to try to make the team. If you do, great, if not, you keep working until you do.”
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)