Sep 7, 2013, 4:15 PM EST
When Phoenix Coyotes camp opens next week they’ll have one of their better offensive players there without worry.
Restricted free agent Mikkel Boedker signed a two-year deal with the Coyotes. TSN’s Bob McKenzie says it’s worth a total of $5.1 million with a cap hit of $2.55 million. Now he’ll look to show that the offense he generated last season was a sign of things to come. GM Don Maloney is more than happy with the signing.
“We are pleased to sign Mikkel prior to the beginning of training camp,” said Maloney. “Mikkel is an important player for us and having him under contract makes us a better team.”
Boedker, 23, had 26 points last season for the Coyotes, two points shy of his career-high set during his rookie year, putting him fourth on the team in scoring. Over his five seasons in the league, his 26 points in 48 games was the highest points-per-game ratio in his career.
With Boedker and Washington’s Marcus Johansson both signing today, there are just six key restricted free agents left to be signed. New York Ranger Derek Stepan, St. Louis’ Alex Pietrangelo, Toronto’s Cody Franson and Nazem Kadri, Buffalo’s Cody Hodgson, and Ottawa’s Jared Cowen.
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 0
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 20
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 6
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 85
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (85)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)