Sep 7, 2013, 4:15 PM EDT
When Phoenix Coyotes camp opens next week they’ll have one of their better offensive players there without worry.
Restricted free agent Mikkel Boedker signed a two-year deal with the Coyotes. TSN’s Bob McKenzie says it’s worth a total of $5.1 million with a cap hit of $2.55 million. Now he’ll look to show that the offense he generated last season was a sign of things to come. GM Don Maloney is more than happy with the signing.
“We are pleased to sign Mikkel prior to the beginning of training camp,” said Maloney. “Mikkel is an important player for us and having him under contract makes us a better team.”
Boedker, 23, had 26 points last season for the Coyotes, two points shy of his career-high set during his rookie year, putting him fourth on the team in scoring. Over his five seasons in the league, his 26 points in 48 games was the highest points-per-game ratio in his career.
With Boedker and Washington’s Marcus Johansson both signing today, there are just six key restricted free agents left to be signed. New York Ranger Derek Stepan, St. Louis’ Alex Pietrangelo, Toronto’s Cody Franson and Nazem Kadri, Buffalo’s Cody Hodgson, and Ottawa’s Jared Cowen.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)