Sep 7, 2013, 4:15 PM EDT
When Phoenix Coyotes camp opens next week they’ll have one of their better offensive players there without worry.
Restricted free agent Mikkel Boedker signed a two-year deal with the Coyotes. TSN’s Bob McKenzie says it’s worth a total of $5.1 million with a cap hit of $2.55 million. Now he’ll look to show that the offense he generated last season was a sign of things to come. GM Don Maloney is more than happy with the signing.
“We are pleased to sign Mikkel prior to the beginning of training camp,” said Maloney. “Mikkel is an important player for us and having him under contract makes us a better team.”
Boedker, 23, had 26 points last season for the Coyotes, two points shy of his career-high set during his rookie year, putting him fourth on the team in scoring. Over his five seasons in the league, his 26 points in 48 games was the highest points-per-game ratio in his career.
With Boedker and Washington’s Marcus Johansson both signing today, there are just six key restricted free agents left to be signed. New York Ranger Derek Stepan, St. Louis’ Alex Pietrangelo, Toronto’s Cody Franson and Nazem Kadri, Buffalo’s Cody Hodgson, and Ottawa’s Jared Cowen.
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 31
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)