Sep 7, 2013, 3:28 PM EDT
Los Angeles Kings rookie Tyler Toffoli had been a right wing his whole career until last season. He was used a left wing during last year’s late-season run, but now coach Darryl Sutter wants to get him back to where he started.
Sutter tells Helene Elliott of the Los Angeles Times he doesn’t want to mess with Toffoli’s development and will have him go back to working on the right wing.
“I don’t want to set Tyler back. That’s my thinking,” Sutter said Friday. “I’m not going to spend a lot of time. If he’s way better on the right than he is on the left, that’s the best chance. I’m really cautious about that one, because he’s never played it and he’s a good player.”
Toffoli arrived on the scene with a bang last season with two goals and three assists in 10 regular season games and another two goals and four assists in the playoffs. With the Kings losing Dustin Penner in free agency, that opens a spot in L.A.’s forward top-six, albeit on the left side.
One thing’s for sure, if he can keep producing points, they’ll find a spot for him no matter what.
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 2
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 12
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 0
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 53
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 51
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 54
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)