Sep 7, 2013, 2:27 PM EDT
One area the Philadelphia Flyers could use help is on defense and they’re looking to address that in training camp.
Fluto Shinzawa of the Boston Globe reports the Flyers have invited veteran blue liner Hal Gill to camp on a tryout. The 38-year-old, 6’7″ defenseman spent the past season and a half with the Nashville Predators. Previous to that he’s played for Montreal, Pittsburgh, Toronto, and Boston.
In his run with the Preds last season, Gill averaged just over 13 minutes per game as a third-pair defenseman. In 32 games he had no points, 12 penalty minutes, and was a minus-3.
One thing Gill has been good at in his career is actually playing defense and that’s what has to be appealing to Philly. If he’s got anything left, he could help out.
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Comedian Will Arnett at Leafs practice 8
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)