Sep 7, 2013, 12:27 PM EDT
Flyers prospect Scott Laughton is hoping to leave a bigger, better impression on the team this year.
Laughton, the team’s 2012 first-round pick, had a five-game audition with the team last season. While he didn’t earn a point before being sent back to junior hockey, he tells Sarah Baicker of CSNPhilly.com he believes he’ll show why he shouldn’t go back this year.
“[I'm] definitely more confident, more comfortable,” he said. “I think I’m better in the offensive zone, definitely, and I think I’ve stuck with the defensive game — I’m not cheating the puck or anything like that. I think staying on the offensive side, I’ve been better for sure.”
What should help Laughton’s confidence even more is the fact GM Paul Holmgren believes he’s got the best shot to make the team out of camp.
Last season, Laughton had 56 points and 79 penalty minutes in 49 games for the OHL’s Oshawa Generals. That kind of output is well-rounded for junior hockey and makes him seem to be an ideal kind of guy for the Flyers.
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 4
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Comedian Will Arnett at Leafs practice 8
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)