Sep 7, 2013, 4:55 PM EST
It wasn’t one of the major changes made by the competition committee, but shallow nets will be making their debut in training camp.
The net depth will be reduced by four inches helping make the room behind the net slightly more spacious.
Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch spoke with former Blue Jackets forward, and current Director of Player Development, Chris Clark and finds out that while the change is subtle, the goalies will definitely take notice.
“You’re probably going to notice it a lot on wrap-arounds,” said Clark. “Those times when the goaltender gets his leg across just in time to cover the other post? Those might be goals now.
“The players haven’t seen them yet. The goaltenders haven’t played with them yet. But it’s going to take some getting used to.”
Good thing for everyone that preseason and training camp lasts about three weeks because that’s what they’ll have to get used to them before the games count.
Portzline also points out that the pipes will be more squared off in the corners and are also narrower. It’s not drastic by any means, but it might be just enough to help scorers find the back of the net more often.
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 57
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 6
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 18
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 56
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 53
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (67)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (58)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (42)