Sep 7, 2013, 6:55 PM EDT
Saturday has turned out to be a pretty good day for Marcus Johansson.
Not only did the Washington Capitals announce they had re-signed the restricted free agent to a two-year, $4 million deal, but head coach Adam Oates confirmed Johansson will play on the top line with Nicklas Backstrom and some guys named Alex Ovechkin.
“He’s got a great opportunity to start with two great hockey players,” Oates told CSN Washington.
“It’s a good situation, where the coaches like him, the GM likes him and he’s got an opportunity in the next couple years to prove he can be a dominant player in this league and then you get rewarded if you succeed.”
Johansson, Backstrom and Ovechkin have previous experience playing together.
They were united in the latter half of last season and the results were as impressive as they were instant.
Johansson scored six goals and 22 points in 34 games, although 19 of those points came after March 16 with Ovechkin and Backstrom.
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 3
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 38
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 23
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)