Sep 7, 2013, 1:45 PM EDT
Vancouver Canucks 2013 first-round pick Hunter Shinkaruk has a bone to pick with the Calgary Flames.
Shinkaruk is a Calgary native and his favorite team growing up had two opportunities to pick him in the first-round at this year’s draft in Newark and passed. Now the NHL hopeful wants to make them pay for not taking the hometown guy as Elliott Pap of the Vancouver Sun shares.
“Being a competitive kid, I want to make sure the Flames wished they had taken me with that pick,” he said. “It’s definitely going to be something that will drive me every time I play against them, for sure. If I can get out there and make them pay for not taking me it would be pretty nice.”
Calgary chose Sean Monahan (6th overall) and Emile Poirier (22nd overall) before the Canucks grabbed Shinkaruk at 24.
Bagging on the Flames for taking Monahan might be a bit much as he could wind up starting the season in Calgary. Taking Poirier over the hometown guy though… That’s the stuff that makes debates happen.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)