Sep 7, 2013, 12:25 AM EDT
It appears one of Brian Burke’s future decisions as the new president of hockey operations for the Calgary Flames will be whether or not to re-sign veteran forward Mike Cammalleri.
Cammalleri, 31, enters the 2013-2014 season with one year remaining on a five-year deal that pays him $7 million this season and is worth an annual cap hit of $6 million. (That’s according to Capgeek.com)
“We’ll see what they want to do. Truthfully, I got a lot of respect for (GM) Jay (Feaster) and (assistant GM) John (Weisbrod), I’ve had an open dialogue with them,” said Cammalleri, according to ESPN NHL.
“Nothing to report, but we’ll see what they want to do. I like it there, it’s a good place. I’m open (to an extension).”
Cammalleri’s best season came in 2008-09 with the Flames, when he scored a career-high 39 goals and 82 points.
Since then, he hasn’t played more than 67 games in a season, which has led to lower offensive numbers.
As stated yesterday on ProHockeyTalk, is Cammalleri someone the Flames want to bring back long term, especially considering his age and declining point production over the past five seasons?
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 4
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)