Sep 7, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT
The Portland Pirates have filed a lawsuit against the Cumberland County Civic Center’s Board of Trustees, according to an article in the Maine Hockey Journal.
As per the report, the lawsuit is over “failed lease negotiations to play at the downtown arena.”
Below is a snippet of what Chris Roy of the Maine Hockey Journal wrote. Read the full version here.
The complaint contains four counts against the civic center board, including breach of contract, breach of contract to negotiate in good faith, a claim the board changed the terms of the deal after they’d been agreed upon and whether the Apr. 17 agreement constitutes a binding agreement.
According to documents filed in superior court, the Pirates claimed both sides agreed to terms on a new five-year lease on April 17.
The Pirates are scheduled to open the regular season at home on Oct. 12 against the Providence Bruins, although, according to the AHL’s website, their first 12 home games will take place in Lewiston, Maine.
Last month it was reported in the Portland Press Herald/Maine Sunday Telegram that, due to renovations, the Pirates will return to the Cumberland County Civic Center on Jan. 17 .
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 23
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)