Sep 6, 2013, 4:40 PM EST
The New York Islanders will officially name their new captain — reportedly John Tavares — on Monday, the club announced today.
The Isles have been without a captain since defenseman Mark Streit was traded to the Philadelphia Flyers in June.
Tavares, 22, spoke to NHL.com today about the prospect of wearing the C for a team like the Islanders.
“So much history and a lot of great captains, a lot of great players,” he said. “To be recognized by teammates, coaches, fans as a leader and as the captain is something that is pretty special and you don’t take it for lightly, you don’t take it for granted.”
Previous Isles captains include Clark Gillies, Denis Potvin, Brent Sutter, Bill Guerin, and Doug Weight.
In addition to the Isles, the Buffalo Sabres, Calgary Flames, Columbus Blue Jackets, Dallas Stars, Edmonton Oilers, Ottawa Senators, and Tampa Bay Lightning are all currently without captains.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 44
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (47)