Sep 6, 2013, 4:40 PM EST
The New York Islanders will officially name their new captain — reportedly John Tavares — on Monday, the club announced today.
The Isles have been without a captain since defenseman Mark Streit was traded to the Philadelphia Flyers in June.
Tavares, 22, spoke to NHL.com today about the prospect of wearing the C for a team like the Islanders.
“So much history and a lot of great captains, a lot of great players,” he said. “To be recognized by teammates, coaches, fans as a leader and as the captain is something that is pretty special and you don’t take it for lightly, you don’t take it for granted.”
Previous Isles captains include Clark Gillies, Denis Potvin, Brent Sutter, Bill Guerin, and Doug Weight.
In addition to the Isles, the Buffalo Sabres, Calgary Flames, Columbus Blue Jackets, Dallas Stars, Edmonton Oilers, Ottawa Senators, and Tampa Bay Lightning are all currently without captains.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)