Sep 6, 2013, 4:40 PM EDT
The New York Islanders will officially name their new captain — reportedly John Tavares — on Monday, the club announced today.
The Isles have been without a captain since defenseman Mark Streit was traded to the Philadelphia Flyers in June.
Tavares, 22, spoke to NHL.com today about the prospect of wearing the C for a team like the Islanders.
“So much history and a lot of great captains, a lot of great players,” he said. “To be recognized by teammates, coaches, fans as a leader and as the captain is something that is pretty special and you don’t take it for lightly, you don’t take it for granted.”
Previous Isles captains include Clark Gillies, Denis Potvin, Brent Sutter, Bill Guerin, and Doug Weight.
In addition to the Isles, the Buffalo Sabres, Calgary Flames, Columbus Blue Jackets, Dallas Stars, Edmonton Oilers, Ottawa Senators, and Tampa Bay Lightning are all currently without captains.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 2
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 6
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 33
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)