Sep 6, 2013, 1:26 PM EDT
Now, reports suggest there was a third high-profile candidate too.
Longtime Nashville GM David Poile — a three-time finalist for NHL General Manager of the Year — was approached for the job, according to The Province’s Tony Gallagher:
The Flames interviewed NHL disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan for the job that Burke officially took Thursday in Calgary, but the former Red Wings star turned it down, apparently wishing to remain in a larger city.
Further, so did Nashville GM David Poile, who was also approached by the Flames ownership over the summer, the team evidently asking for and receiving permission to speak to the longtime Preds boss.
He also wished to remain where he is.
Poile does have ties to Calgary and the Flames organization. He spent two years with the club as an assistant GM back in the early 80s — following the move from Atlanta — and worked with then-GM Cliff Fletcher on the famous trade that brought Lanny McDonald to town.
This summer, he spent time talking with Flames CEO Ken King about rebuilding the Saddledome following July’s floods in Southern Alberta. Poile had dealt with a similar situation in 2010 when flood waters invaded Tennessee.
King also stated he’d created a long list of potential candidates for the hockey ops job — a list that had 60 names on it, apparently.
This report makes one wonder about incumbent GM Jay Feaster’s job security in Calgary.
While Burke made it clear that Feaster’s job was safe, it’s interesting to think how different the situation would’ve been if a three-time GM of the Year nominee — and architect of the U.S. Olympic team — was brought in.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 23
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 46
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 20
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 85
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)