Sep 6, 2013, 1:26 PM EDT
Now, reports suggest there was a third high-profile candidate too.
Longtime Nashville GM David Poile — a three-time finalist for NHL General Manager of the Year — was approached for the job, according to The Province’s Tony Gallagher:
The Flames interviewed NHL disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan for the job that Burke officially took Thursday in Calgary, but the former Red Wings star turned it down, apparently wishing to remain in a larger city.
Further, so did Nashville GM David Poile, who was also approached by the Flames ownership over the summer, the team evidently asking for and receiving permission to speak to the longtime Preds boss.
He also wished to remain where he is.
Poile does have ties to Calgary and the Flames organization. He spent two years with the club as an assistant GM back in the early 80s — following the move from Atlanta — and worked with then-GM Cliff Fletcher on the famous trade that brought Lanny McDonald to town.
This summer, he spent time talking with Flames CEO Ken King about rebuilding the Saddledome following July’s floods in Southern Alberta. Poile had dealt with a similar situation in 2010 when flood waters invaded Tennessee.
King also stated he’d created a long list of potential candidates for the hockey ops job — a list that had 60 names on it, apparently.
This report makes one wonder about incumbent GM Jay Feaster’s job security in Calgary.
While Burke made it clear that Feaster’s job was safe, it’s interesting to think how different the situation would’ve been if a three-time GM of the Year nominee — and architect of the U.S. Olympic team — was brought in.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)