Sep 6, 2013, 1:26 PM EST
Now, reports suggest there was a third high-profile candidate too.
Longtime Nashville GM David Poile — a three-time finalist for NHL General Manager of the Year — was approached for the job, according to The Province’s Tony Gallagher:
The Flames interviewed NHL disciplinarian Brendan Shanahan for the job that Burke officially took Thursday in Calgary, but the former Red Wings star turned it down, apparently wishing to remain in a larger city.
Further, so did Nashville GM David Poile, who was also approached by the Flames ownership over the summer, the team evidently asking for and receiving permission to speak to the longtime Preds boss.
He also wished to remain where he is.
Poile does have ties to Calgary and the Flames organization. He spent two years with the club as an assistant GM back in the early 80s — following the move from Atlanta — and worked with then-GM Cliff Fletcher on the famous trade that brought Lanny McDonald to town.
This summer, he spent time talking with Flames CEO Ken King about rebuilding the Saddledome following July’s floods in Southern Alberta. Poile had dealt with a similar situation in 2010 when flood waters invaded Tennessee.
King also stated he’d created a long list of potential candidates for the hockey ops job — a list that had 60 names on it, apparently.
This report makes one wonder about incumbent GM Jay Feaster’s job security in Calgary.
While Burke made it clear that Feaster’s job was safe, it’s interesting to think how different the situation would’ve been if a three-time GM of the Year nominee — and architect of the U.S. Olympic team — was brought in.
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 15
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 3
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 24
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 38
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 12
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 63
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 45
- Trade: Montreal acquires Petry from Edmonton for two draft picks 21
- Bruins acquire Connolly from the Lightning for draft picks (Confirmed) 32
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 69
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (162)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)