Sep 6, 2013, 9:03 AM EDT
Capitals GM George McPhee doesn’t seem too concerned about Moscow Dynamo general director Andrey Safronov’s interest in luring Alex Ovechkin to the KHL, but for any Capitals fans that didn’t share his confidence, Ovechkin did his best to quell those fears.
“Yeah, I’m here and I’m gonna work for my contract,” Ovechkin said, according to CSN Washington. “Not gonna worry about it.”
Ovechkin admitted that it was still nice to hear that Moscow Dynamo was interested in him. He played for them in his youth before moving to North America and returned for 31 contests during the lockout.
“But I’m here and I have a contract,” Ovechkin reiterated.
Ilya Kovalchuk’s decision to bolt to the KHL despite being under contract has led to a lot of “what if” speculation and Safronov’s comments fed into that, but every situation is unique. Other Russian stars renewed their commitment to their respective NHL clubs over the summer by signing new contracts and while Ovechkin might end up playing in the KHL again someday, he’s “excited” to return to the Capitals for the 2013-14 campaign.
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (159)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)