Sep 6, 2013, 9:03 AM EST
Capitals GM George McPhee doesn’t seem too concerned about Moscow Dynamo general director Andrey Safronov’s interest in luring Alex Ovechkin to the KHL, but for any Capitals fans that didn’t share his confidence, Ovechkin did his best to quell those fears.
“Yeah, I’m here and I’m gonna work for my contract,” Ovechkin said, according to CSN Washington. “Not gonna worry about it.”
Ovechkin admitted that it was still nice to hear that Moscow Dynamo was interested in him. He played for them in his youth before moving to North America and returned for 31 contests during the lockout.
“But I’m here and I have a contract,” Ovechkin reiterated.
Ilya Kovalchuk’s decision to bolt to the KHL despite being under contract has led to a lot of “what if” speculation and Safronov’s comments fed into that, but every situation is unique. Other Russian stars renewed their commitment to their respective NHL clubs over the summer by signing new contracts and while Ovechkin might end up playing in the KHL again someday, he’s “excited” to return to the Capitals for the 2013-14 campaign.
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 54
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 17
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 127
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (57)