Sep 6, 2013, 9:03 AM EST
Capitals GM George McPhee doesn’t seem too concerned about Moscow Dynamo general director Andrey Safronov’s interest in luring Alex Ovechkin to the KHL, but for any Capitals fans that didn’t share his confidence, Ovechkin did his best to quell those fears.
“Yeah, I’m here and I’m gonna work for my contract,” Ovechkin said, according to CSN Washington. “Not gonna worry about it.”
Ovechkin admitted that it was still nice to hear that Moscow Dynamo was interested in him. He played for them in his youth before moving to North America and returned for 31 contests during the lockout.
“But I’m here and I have a contract,” Ovechkin reiterated.
Ilya Kovalchuk’s decision to bolt to the KHL despite being under contract has led to a lot of “what if” speculation and Safronov’s comments fed into that, but every situation is unique. Other Russian stars renewed their commitment to their respective NHL clubs over the summer by signing new contracts and while Ovechkin might end up playing in the KHL again someday, he’s “excited” to return to the Capitals for the 2013-14 campaign.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 4
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 6
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 25
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)