Sep 6, 2013, 11:16 PM EST
Mark Scheifele and Jacob Trouba are the Winnipeg Jets’ prospects with the best chance at competing for spots on the big club this year.
That’s according to TSN hockey insider Bob McKenzie, who is Penticton, B.C., for the Canucks Young Stars Classic, which the Jets’ prospects are competing in.
Mark Scheifele, captain of WPG's prospect team in Penticton, and D Jacob Trouba are two young guns with best chance to compete for Jet jobs.—
Bob McKenzie (@TSNBobMcKenzie) September 07, 2013
The Jets played their first game of the five-team tournament on Friday at the South Okanagan Events Centre.
Neither Scheifele, the 20-year-old center, or Trouba, the 19-year-old defenseman, registered a point in the 5-3 win over the San Jose Sharks prospects.
Scheifele, who has 11 games of NHL experience with the Jets after being selected seventh overall in 2011, had a team-high six shots on goal.
Trouba, Winnipeg’s ninth overall selection the following year, was a minus-one.
Scheifele is the veteran of the Jets group in Penticton, having spent time in Winnipeg in each of the last two seasons.
That first year I felt a little awestruck… not knowing what to expect, not knowing how to adapt to playing against guys like (Dustin) Byfuglien and (Zach) Bogosian and huge guys like that,” Scheifele told the Winnipeg Free Press.
“Now that I’ve went through it two years and seen what it takes to handle playing against big guys like that, I definitely think my mental side has gone a big way since my first year.”
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)