Sep 6, 2013, 12:02 PM EDT
The Battle of Alberta isn’t what it used to be, and it hasn’t been for a while. But Kevin Lowe, the Edmonton Oilers’ president of hockey operations, is hoping that Brian Burke, the Calgary Flames’ new president of hockey ops, will help change that.
“All of us, the Flames and ourselves, we can only wish that we could get back to those days again in terms of the interest, the hype and the great hockey that it was,” said Lowe, per the Canadian Press.
“If Brian can add to that, it would be awesome.”
Now provincial counterparts, Lowe and Burke have already clashed in the past, with the latter famously suggesting the two men should fight in a rented barn.
Of course, Alberta hockey fans would rather watch their teams compete for the Stanley Cup than listen to the clubs’ executives talk tough. Neither side has made the playoffs the past four seasons, and the last time one of them won a postseason series was 2006.
The Oilers and Flames haven’t met in the playoffs since their classic seven-game series in 1991.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 6
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 15
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 59
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)