Sep 6, 2013, 12:02 PM EDT
The Battle of Alberta isn’t what it used to be, and it hasn’t been for a while. But Kevin Lowe, the Edmonton Oilers’ president of hockey operations, is hoping that Brian Burke, the Calgary Flames’ new president of hockey ops, will help change that.
“All of us, the Flames and ourselves, we can only wish that we could get back to those days again in terms of the interest, the hype and the great hockey that it was,” said Lowe, per the Canadian Press.
“If Brian can add to that, it would be awesome.”
Now provincial counterparts, Lowe and Burke have already clashed in the past, with the latter famously suggesting the two men should fight in a rented barn.
Of course, Alberta hockey fans would rather watch their teams compete for the Stanley Cup than listen to the clubs’ executives talk tough. Neither side has made the playoffs the past four seasons, and the last time one of them won a postseason series was 2006.
The Oilers and Flames haven’t met in the playoffs since their classic seven-game series in 1991.
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 13
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 22
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 13
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Asst. GM Guerin admits Penguins need to lay off the refs (52)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)