Sep 6, 2013, 12:50 PM EDT
The Czech Republic has released its “long list” for the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia — and a pair of New Jersey veterans are front and center.
The Czechs, gold medalists in 1998 and bronze medalists in 2006, boast a veteran-laden team with a strong NHL influence.
In goal, Tomas Vokoun, Michal Neuvirth and Ondrej Pavelec will battle for the No. 1 job — Vokoun carried the load in 2010, with Pavelec working as his backup and Czech Extraliga goalie Jakub Stepanek as the No. 3.
On defense, the Czechs feature a number of NHL vets: Marek Zidlicky, Zbynek Michalek, Roman Polak, Michal Rozsival, Jan Hedja, Radek Martinek and Ladislav Smid. It’s expected Tampa Bay youngster Radko Gudas and Detroit’s Jakub Kindl will also be in the mix, along with Washington’s Tomas Kundratek.
Up front is where the team boasts the most depth.
Jagr and Elias are joined by Martin Erat, Tomas Fleischmann, Michael Frolik, Martin Hanzal, Martin Havlat, Alex Hemsky, Jiri Hudler, David Krejci, Milan Michalek, Tomas Plekanec, Vinny Prospal, Vladimir Sobotka, Jiri Tlusty, Jakub Voracek and Radim Vrbata.
For Czech Republic’s full 67-man invite list, click here.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)