Sep 6, 2013, 12:50 PM EST
The Czech Republic has released its “long list” for the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia — and a pair of New Jersey veterans are front and center.
The Czechs, gold medalists in 1998 and bronze medalists in 2006, boast a veteran-laden team with a strong NHL influence.
In goal, Tomas Vokoun, Michal Neuvirth and Ondrej Pavelec will battle for the No. 1 job — Vokoun carried the load in 2010, with Pavelec working as his backup and Czech Extraliga goalie Jakub Stepanek as the No. 3.
On defense, the Czechs feature a number of NHL vets: Marek Zidlicky, Zbynek Michalek, Roman Polak, Michal Rozsival, Jan Hedja, Radek Martinek and Ladislav Smid. It’s expected Tampa Bay youngster Radko Gudas and Detroit’s Jakub Kindl will also be in the mix, along with Washington’s Tomas Kundratek.
Up front is where the team boasts the most depth.
Jagr and Elias are joined by Martin Erat, Tomas Fleischmann, Michael Frolik, Martin Hanzal, Martin Havlat, Alex Hemsky, Jiri Hudler, David Krejci, Milan Michalek, Tomas Plekanec, Vinny Prospal, Vladimir Sobotka, Jiri Tlusty, Jakub Voracek and Radim Vrbata.
For Czech Republic’s full 67-man invite list, click here.
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 0
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 27
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 49
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)