Sep 6, 2013, 9:58 AM EDT
It looks like two more unrestricted free agents are heading for Europe. The Kloten Flyers of the Swiss league has announced the signings of forward Peter Mueller and defenseman Jim Vandermeer.
Mueller was taken by the Phoenix Coyotes with the eighth overall pick in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft and early on he showed a lot of promise with 22 goals and 54 points in 81 games as a rookie, but at the age of 25, that’s still his career high.
A big part of the issue with Mueller is his injury history. He missed all of the 2010-11 campaign and a large chunk of the following season because of concussion problems. He was relatively healthy last season with the Florida Panthers, but managed just eight goals and nine assists in 43 games.
Vandermeer, 33, found himself in the minors last season, recording 10 points and 66 penalty minutes in 34 games with the AHL Chicago Wolves. He’s a physical blueliner with 105 points and 664 penalty minutes in 461 career NHL games with the Philadelphia Flyers, Chicago Blackhawks, Calgary Flames, Coyotes, Edmonton Oilers, and San Jose Sharks.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 4
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)