Sep 6, 2013, 9:58 AM EDT
It looks like two more unrestricted free agents are heading for Europe. The Kloten Flyers of the Swiss league has announced the signings of forward Peter Mueller and defenseman Jim Vandermeer.
Mueller was taken by the Phoenix Coyotes with the eighth overall pick in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft and early on he showed a lot of promise with 22 goals and 54 points in 81 games as a rookie, but at the age of 25, that’s still his career high.
A big part of the issue with Mueller is his injury history. He missed all of the 2010-11 campaign and a large chunk of the following season because of concussion problems. He was relatively healthy last season with the Florida Panthers, but managed just eight goals and nine assists in 43 games.
Vandermeer, 33, found himself in the minors last season, recording 10 points and 66 penalty minutes in 34 games with the AHL Chicago Wolves. He’s a physical blueliner with 105 points and 664 penalty minutes in 461 career NHL games with the Philadelphia Flyers, Chicago Blackhawks, Calgary Flames, Coyotes, Edmonton Oilers, and San Jose Sharks.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)