Sep 6, 2013, 12:42 PM EDT
San Jose forward Logan Couture thinks Nazem Kadri should just sign the bridge deal the Toronto Maple Leafs are offering and stop trying to get the big-money, long-term contract he’s reportedly been after.
“I don’t know why he doesn’t just do a two-year deal,” Couture told sportsnet.ca yesterday. “Play and have a good two years like you know you can and then you’ll sign a nice deal after. You’ve just got to be confident that you’re going to have two good years.”
Kadri has refuted the reports of his contract demands (though he hasn’t publicly specified what they are).
Given Toronto’s cap crunch and Kadri’s lack of leverage as a restricted free agent without arbitration rights, it seems likely he’ll end up with a short-term deal, like the two-year, $5.75 million extension Couture signed in the summer of 2011.
Couture has since signed a five-year, $30 million extension that takes him through the 2018-19 season.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 0
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 51
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (54)