Sep 6, 2013, 12:42 PM EST
San Jose forward Logan Couture thinks Nazem Kadri should just sign the bridge deal the Toronto Maple Leafs are offering and stop trying to get the big-money, long-term contract he’s reportedly been after.
“I don’t know why he doesn’t just do a two-year deal,” Couture told sportsnet.ca yesterday. “Play and have a good two years like you know you can and then you’ll sign a nice deal after. You’ve just got to be confident that you’re going to have two good years.”
Kadri has refuted the reports of his contract demands (though he hasn’t publicly specified what they are).
Given Toronto’s cap crunch and Kadri’s lack of leverage as a restricted free agent without arbitration rights, it seems likely he’ll end up with a short-term deal, like the two-year, $5.75 million extension Couture signed in the summer of 2011.
Couture has since signed a five-year, $30 million extension that takes him through the 2018-19 season.
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 0
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 17
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 16
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)