Sep 6, 2013, 12:42 PM EDT
San Jose forward Logan Couture thinks Nazem Kadri should just sign the bridge deal the Toronto Maple Leafs are offering and stop trying to get the big-money, long-term contract he’s reportedly been after.
“I don’t know why he doesn’t just do a two-year deal,” Couture told sportsnet.ca yesterday. “Play and have a good two years like you know you can and then you’ll sign a nice deal after. You’ve just got to be confident that you’re going to have two good years.”
Kadri has refuted the reports of his contract demands (though he hasn’t publicly specified what they are).
Given Toronto’s cap crunch and Kadri’s lack of leverage as a restricted free agent without arbitration rights, it seems likely he’ll end up with a short-term deal, like the two-year, $5.75 million extension Couture signed in the summer of 2011.
Couture has since signed a five-year, $30 million extension that takes him through the 2018-19 season.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 46
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 8
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)