Sep 6, 2013, 12:42 PM EDT
San Jose forward Logan Couture thinks Nazem Kadri should just sign the bridge deal the Toronto Maple Leafs are offering and stop trying to get the big-money, long-term contract he’s reportedly been after.
“I don’t know why he doesn’t just do a two-year deal,” Couture told sportsnet.ca yesterday. “Play and have a good two years like you know you can and then you’ll sign a nice deal after. You’ve just got to be confident that you’re going to have two good years.”
Kadri has refuted the reports of his contract demands (though he hasn’t publicly specified what they are).
Given Toronto’s cap crunch and Kadri’s lack of leverage as a restricted free agent without arbitration rights, it seems likely he’ll end up with a short-term deal, like the two-year, $5.75 million extension Couture signed in the summer of 2011.
Couture has since signed a five-year, $30 million extension that takes him through the 2018-19 season.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (90)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)