Sep 6, 2013, 2:42 PM EDT
Dan Cleary’s eight-year run in Detroit looks like it’s coming to an end.
Cleary, 34, told the Red Wings’ website he wouldn’t attend training camp on a professional try out, opting to explore other options around the league.
“I want to stay in Detroit. I think I’ve made that pretty clear. I’ve been pretty patient,” Cleary explained. “I’ve had other opportunities to leave and just didn’t want to leave. I’ve just tried to wait as long as I could for Detroit to make the right moves, I guess.
“That’s all I can say right now.”
Cleary did add he’s been “talking to three other teams,” including one that’s emerged as a serious suitor.
Earlier this week, the Detroit Free Press reported Anaheim, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh had all expressed interest in Cleary, with the Penguins sending fellow Maritimer Sidney Crosby to make a pitch.
As mentioned above, Cleary has a standing offer from GM Ken Holland to head to Traverse City — the site of Detroit’s 2013 training camp — on a tryout basis.
The veteran winger, who joined the Red Wings after arriving on a camp PTO in 2005, says he wants something more secure.
“If I go to Traverse City it’s not going to be on a tryout like I did eight years ago,” Cleary explained. “Whether it’s signed or something agreed on it’ll be something.”
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 0
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 9
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 36
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 55
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)