Sep 6, 2013, 2:42 PM EST
Dan Cleary’s eight-year run in Detroit looks like it’s coming to an end.
Cleary, 34, told the Red Wings’ website he wouldn’t attend training camp on a professional try out, opting to explore other options around the league.
“I want to stay in Detroit. I think I’ve made that pretty clear. I’ve been pretty patient,” Cleary explained. “I’ve had other opportunities to leave and just didn’t want to leave. I’ve just tried to wait as long as I could for Detroit to make the right moves, I guess.
“That’s all I can say right now.”
Cleary did add he’s been “talking to three other teams,” including one that’s emerged as a serious suitor.
Earlier this week, the Detroit Free Press reported Anaheim, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh had all expressed interest in Cleary, with the Penguins sending fellow Maritimer Sidney Crosby to make a pitch.
As mentioned above, Cleary has a standing offer from GM Ken Holland to head to Traverse City — the site of Detroit’s 2013 training camp — on a tryout basis.
The veteran winger, who joined the Red Wings after arriving on a camp PTO in 2005, says he wants something more secure.
“If I go to Traverse City it’s not going to be on a tryout like I did eight years ago,” Cleary explained. “Whether it’s signed or something agreed on it’ll be something.”
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 3
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 33
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 63
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 31
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)