Sep 6, 2013, 2:42 PM EST
Dan Cleary’s eight-year run in Detroit looks like it’s coming to an end.
Cleary, 34, told the Red Wings’ website he wouldn’t attend training camp on a professional try out, opting to explore other options around the league.
“I want to stay in Detroit. I think I’ve made that pretty clear. I’ve been pretty patient,” Cleary explained. “I’ve had other opportunities to leave and just didn’t want to leave. I’ve just tried to wait as long as I could for Detroit to make the right moves, I guess.
“That’s all I can say right now.”
Cleary did add he’s been “talking to three other teams,” including one that’s emerged as a serious suitor.
Earlier this week, the Detroit Free Press reported Anaheim, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh had all expressed interest in Cleary, with the Penguins sending fellow Maritimer Sidney Crosby to make a pitch.
As mentioned above, Cleary has a standing offer from GM Ken Holland to head to Traverse City — the site of Detroit’s 2013 training camp — on a tryout basis.
The veteran winger, who joined the Red Wings after arriving on a camp PTO in 2005, says he wants something more secure.
“If I go to Traverse City it’s not going to be on a tryout like I did eight years ago,” Cleary explained. “Whether it’s signed or something agreed on it’ll be something.”
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 2
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 20
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 29
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 6
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)